Kent community casts their ballots at polls this Election Day

Erin Sullivan
Sophmore Max Loudenslager casts his ballot at the Kent State Recreational and Wellness Center on Nov. 7, 2023.

The Kent community took to various polling locations throughout the city throughout Election Day Tuesday. 

While standing outside polling sites such as the Beverly J. Warren Student Recreation and Wellness Center and the Kent United Church of Christ, voters filed in to cast their ballots. These voters included both students of the university and members of the Kent community.

Many voters said the reason they voted today was because of Issues 1 and 2.

Both were statewide issues with Issue 1 pertaining to the constitutional right to an abortion. Issue 2 covers the legalization of recreational marijuana. 

Clara Maruna, a sophomore public relations major, was one student who voted.

“I think the issues are really important, Issues 1 and 2, that’s why I’m voting today,” she said. 

McKenna Gilbert, a junior digital media production major, felt similarly about the importance of Issue 1, specifically. 

“Being a woman, Issue 1 is a big deal for me, so it was the main draw for me to come out and vote,” she said. 

Another community member, 22-year-old Cari Bear, explained voting was also good for local issues, as well as Issue 1 and 2.

“I think both of the issues are super important, there’s a lot of safety issues for women,” she said. “Issue 2 is really important, it keeps people out of prison for unnecessary stuff. It’s good for the local stuff too, like supporting the parks.”

Many agreed that Issues 1 and 2 were bringing many people out to the polls to vote. 

Zachariah Mason, a junior human development and family studies major, said he believed this election was the most active he’s heard people talk about voting compared to previous elections. 

Maruna said she agreed these issues brought out a younger audience to the polls. 

When it came to where people received information about what would be on the ballot, many said it was through multiple mediums. 

“Watching local news, Instagram, talking to your friends, just paying attention to your local politics — they post all that kind of stuff in the newspaper,” Bear said. “I actually got a lot of good information about it at the Kent Free Library.”

The power of voting is something that should not be overlooked, Bear said.

“Your vote actually matters,” said William Bintz, a Kent State education professor. “You think a single vote won’t matter, but don’t think singularly, think collectively.”

Mason felt similarly when it came to people thinking about the larger picture when voting.

“When I was younger I used to think, ‘What’s one vote going to do?’” he said. “But it’s not the matter of one, it’s the matter of multiple people saying, ‘I voted.’”

Maruna said the special election in August also piqued the interest of many voters, driving them to the polls. 

“The last time I voted was on the last Issue 1, so many people came out to vote for that,” she said. “I feel like that kind of shows why it is important.”

Voters found out their polling locations through various methods, such as the government website, group chats and the mail. 

“I got a piece of paper in the mail, it was like a little postcard that said your polling location is X,Y, Z,” Gilbert said. 

Mason said a link was sent to his GroupMe that showed him where to find his precinct.

When it came to encouraging the community to come out and vote, some commented on the ease of voting. 

“It took me 5-7 minutes,” Bintz said. “There’s no excuse for not voting.”

Others talked about the importance of fulfilling one’s civic duty by voting. 

“Voting as an American citizen, it’s your civic duty,” Mason said. “How else are you supposed to let your opinion be heard?”

Bintz said he voted because he wanted to make sure his voice was heard.

“If I silence myself then I have no excuse when bad things happen,” he said.

In agreement, Bear said, “It’s important to make your voice known. We have that right, and we should use it.”

Many agreed the community should get out to the polls and vote for what they believe in. 

“Just as an Ohioan: Go out there, vote and do your thing,” Gilbert said. “You’ll start seeing what happens due to your actions and what you believe in, it will start coming to life.”

Olivia Montgomery is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected]