‘Continue to play smart hockey’: Hockey preparing for upcoming league games

Matthew Brown
Kent State hockey team member Mitch Gillespie skids into a turn as the puck changes hands during the home game against West Virginia University on Jan. 28th, 2023.

After going 1-1 over Halloween weekend, the Kent State Hockey team captured back-to-back wins against Oakland University. 

It’s the first weekend sweep since Oct. 20-21 and fifth overall. 

On Friday, the Flashes won 12-1 as the team traveled to Suburban Ice Rochester Arena – this was the second time KSU has scored over 10 goals in a game. 

On Saturday, Kent State returned home, defeating Oakland 6-1.

The two goals allowed were the fewest the Flashes have allowed during a two-game match all season.

The Flashes’ record is now 11-4-1.

GAME 1:

Friday night, the Flashes traveled to Oakland University to play.

Just within the first period, the Flashes were up 4-1. 

Following in the second period, the Flashes were up 7-1.

The Flashes beat Oakland with a final score of 12-1.

Freshman forward TJ Avelino and Bryson Miller with two goals each.

Senior forwards Zach Zwierecki, Bennett Wenger, and JS Florek scored one goal each.

Junior forward Nick Krestan shot and scored along with sophomore forward Gabriel Lucchesi and freshman forward Jaxson Gillespie and defenseman JJ Creighton.

“We really capitalized on a lot of our opportunities to make the shots we needed,” said Coach Zack Nowak.

GAME 2:

In the home game against Oakland, Kent State fought from beginning to end to secure the win.

Miller scored the first goal, then Lucchesi followed, bringing the Flashes up by two at the end of the first period.

The Flashes went scoreless in the second period, with Oakland scoring once, 2-1 Kent State. 

Lucchesi scored another goal, then senior forward Jack Kinsman followed, bringing the score to 4-1 Flashes.

Kinsman scored once more, then Zwierecki shot one in to finish off the game with a final score of 6-1 Kent State.

The Flashes will face off against not one but two league teams, making for an exciting upcoming weekend. 

West Virginia University is third in the CHMA league, Kent State is ranked fourth and Robert Morris University ranks fifth. 

Coach Zach Nowak explained how keeping the pressure on both offense and defense will continue to push the team through the rest of the season. 

“Our main goal right now is focusing on winning that league championship,” he said. “Whether it’s through rankings or in playoffs, we’re happy with either one.” 

UP NEXT

Friday night’s game against Robert Morris is away and begins at 8:00 p.m.

The Flashes will host West Virginia on Saturday at 7:30 p.m. 

Epiphany Graham is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected].