Hockey falls to Robert Morris Colonials

Kent+State+hockey+battles+Duquesne+and+goes+into+overtime+on+Nov.+18%2C+2023.+
Anthony Scilla
Kent State hockey battles Duquesne and goes into overtime on Nov. 18, 2023.

Kent State’s Division 1 hockey team fell short to the Robert Morris Colonials in a senior night scrap Saturday.

This game consisted of 18 penalties a piece from each team, with lots of roughing, numerous power plays and a second-period fistfight. 

Kent State’s senior forward Zachary Zwierecki scored in the beginning of the game, followed later by two Colonials to bring the first-period score to 2-1.

In the second, Robert Morris scored again to take a 3-1 lead. The Flashes scored twice in the third period, with goals from Zwierecki and sophomore forward Gabriel Lucchesi, but it wasn’t enough to beat the offensive drive of their opponents who scored once more for a   4-3 win.

The Flashes are now 18-9-2.

Senior Joey Gallo said he believes the biggest growth opportunity for the remainder of the season is adapting to the style of play. 

“You’ve got guys out there who are 25, 26 years old versus, well,  you have guys coming in at 18,” he said.

Along with Gallo, eight other seniors will graduate from KSU and the team this year. 

The next game is scheduled for Feb. 2 at Indiana University of Pennsylvania.

Jess Davis is a reporter. Contact her at @[email protected].