Hockey splits weekend matchup, sitting in first place in Mid-American League

Kent State’s Austin Weber dances around West Virginia’s Marcus Barber to steal the puck during the Kent State Club Hockey Match on Nov. 10, 2023

The Kent State hockey team is first in the College Hockey Mid-American League standings with a 16-6-0 record.

The Flashes split their most recent weekend series against Oswego State (7-4-0) Dec. 1 and 2. 

Kent lost 3-2 Friday but fought back for a 5-3 win Saturday. 

GAME 1:

Friday night, Oswego hosted Kent State.

After the first and second periods, the score was 2-1, KSU.

Sophomore forward Gabriel Lucchesi and freshman forward Bryson Miller each scored a goal. The Flashes finished one shot short in overtime.

GAME 2:

With 35 saves by sophomore goalie Patrick Kristo, the Flashes claimed a victory Saturday night.

Goals were made by senior forward Zachary Zwierecki, Lucchesi, Miller, freshman forward TJ Avelino and freshman defenseman JJ Creighton. 

The Flashes secured the 5-3 win over Oswego to end the weekend.

SEASON RECAP:

The Kent State men’s hockey team is coached by Zachary Nowak and assistant coaches Zach Barnes and Alex Sanchez.

Head captain Zachary Zwierecki and alternate captains senior forwards Tommy Kilway and Jack Kinsman lead the team.

Since the beginning of October, the team has won both games against Towson University, one against Mercyhurst University, two against Oakland University, one against John Carroll University and one against Duquesne. 

With 23 games played, the Flashes sit at 16 wins and seven losses for 53 total points. 

Indiana University of Pennsylvania trails second with 42 points and John Carroll University sits in third with 40 points. 

This year’s team comprises 11 freshmen, nine seniors, five sophomores and four juniors.

The two top scorers this season are alternate captain Jack Kinsman and freshman forward JJ Creighton. Each have scored 29 points. 

Kinsman is currently injured, so he has not been able to participate for the past month. Kinsman has always showcased the many great reasons why he is a co-captain, said Carolina Heister, the team’s social media manager.

“He has been a huge component of the team,” she said. 

UP NEXT

Kent State will face off against Ohio University on Dec. 8 and 9.

Friday’s game will begin at 7 p.m., and Saturday’s game will begin at 7 p.m. 

Epiphany Graham is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected]