Applications for pandemic relief funds now open to students

Kent State’s Emergency Grant Fund is now accepting applications from students who are struggling financially due to the pandemic, according to an email sent by Lamar Hylton, senior vice president for student affairs and Sean Broghammer, interim vice president for enrollment management Thursday.

“Emergency grant money will be distributed with the intent of helping as many students as possible with financial challenges,” Lamar Hylton, senior vice president for student affairs, said in the email. “The financial awards will be based on a student’s individual need and circumstance.”

The grant was established to help students who need assistance in overcoming difficult setbacks and unforeseen financial challenges resulting from the COVID-19 crisis, according to the Kent State Emergency Grant Fund website.

In the wake of Covid-19, emergency grant funding has been instrumental with helping Kent State students since 2020.

Student eligibility includes:

• applying through the existing emergency grant application found on FlashLine,

• enrolled for the 2021 fall semester, and 

• pursuing a degree.

Once an application has been reviewed, students will receive an email with additional information, according to the email.

“Guided by our principle of Students First, Kent State has developed a holistic review process for Kent State Emergency Grant Fund applications that will focus on all aspects of a student’s well-being,” Hylton said in the email.

For additional information questions about 2021-2022 financial aid status because of job loss or a reduction of pay, visit the special circumstances area on the financial aid website or contact the One Stop for Student Services at 330-672-6000.

Kelly Krabill is an assigning editor. Contact her at [email protected]