Dining hall prepares for Thanksgiving Feast

Sara House
Eastway, one of Kent States dining halls, 17 Eastway Dr., Kent, OH.

Students with a meal plan who are staying on or near campus during Thanksgiving break can order a traditional holiday meal to be picked up Nov. 22, as announced by the university’s Culinary Services.

On Nov. 6, KSU Culinary Services made an Instagram post saying students can order a Thanksgiving meal by Nov. 17 at noon and that the meals can be picked up on Nov. 22 at Eastway from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Students can order a traditional meal with the options of herb-roasted turkey, classic green bean casserole, mushroom gravy, stuffing, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, apple pie and a roll. There will also be the option to order a vegan meal with the choices of field roast, spiced green beans, mushroom gravy, stuffing, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, dessert, a roll or vegan stuffed mushrooms.

“With the holiday season approaching, the dining halls want to make sure everyone gets to enjoy a Thanksgiving meal by allowing students to opt-in for a homemade meal for Thanksgiving Day,” said Julia Keahey, video and digital marketing coordinator for University Housing and Culinary Services.

Keahey said this was how the dining halls celebrated Thanksgiving last year, as well.

The dining hall’s hours will change due to Thanksgiving break.

“The Kent Student Center, as it has in the past, will close at 6 p.m. on Nov. 22 and remain closed until noon on Nov. 26,” said Ann Myers, associate director of the Kent Student Center. “This means all culinary locations will be closed during this timeframe.”

Keahey also said the Eastway and D.I. Hub dining halls will have a Thanksgiving food station during dinner time Nov. 21. 

The Thanksgiving break 2023 hours of operation for all of the residential dining halls can be found on the Kent State Culinary Services website.

All dining halls will be closed on Nov. 23 and all dining halls except for Eastway will be closed on Nov. 24 and Nov. 25. The dining halls will go back to their normal hours of operation on Nov. 27. 

Kylee Coles is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected].