Softball bounces back after five-game losing streak

Matthew Brown
Kent State graduate student Alexandria Whitmore stretches her legs at first base while she waits for the pitch during the double header against Toledo on April 15, 2023.

Kent State’s softball team attended the Catamount Classic this past weekend in Cullowhee, North Carolina, looking to end its five-game losing streak. 

The previous weekend, the team attended the Ole Miss Classic, losing four out of five games. 

The Flashes (10-8) then started this past weekend with a close game but another loss. 

They played against Gardner-Webb, losing 6-4. 

“We didn’t make adjustments offensively,” coach Jessica O’Donnell said. “We kind of just coasted through the game.” 

That game was not an easy win for their opponents, though.

“Even on the game we lost on Friday, we were down and then we had a big home run. It took us an extra inning to end the game,” O’Donnell said. “I appreciate the fight from every one of our players.” 

The second game of the weekend was canceled due to a 12-hour rainstorm. 

The Flashes then decided to make their comeback, winning their last three games of the weekend. 

One against North Carolina Central and two against Western Carolina. 

“In each of those three wins, we were coming from behind,” O’Donnell said.

O’Donnell was proud of the team for putting an end to their five-game losing streak. 

“It’s easy when you’re on a five-game losing streak to say, this is what we can expect,” O’Donnell said. “I was impressed that they turned it around and that we weren’t going to make that the norm.” 

Kent State softball will have their home opener Wednesday against Youngstown State at 3 p.m. 

The Flashes have beaten Youngstown State in seven out of the ten games they have ever played. 

In their most recent game against Youngstown State in 2019, the Flashes lost 3-4.

Robyn Taylor is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected]