USG creates survey to help keep free menstrual products

Kent State replaced their old tampon and pad dispensers in the ladies room with bright red dispensers in the ladies room on Main Campus.

Molly Heideman

The Undergraduate Student Government (USG) created a survey for students to provide data for university funding of The Period Project.

The Period Project is a collaboration between USG and the Women’s Center. USG worked to pass legislation to fund free menstrual product dispensers in eight women’s and universal bathrooms on campus.

The funding for the pilot expires at the end of Spring 2019.

“I think the goal of the survey is to provide sound evidence to the administration that the student body as a whole agrees that free menstrual products are a necessary item, not something like just a choice,” said Claire Weihe, a junior public health major and the senator for the College of Public Health.

Vala Zeinali, a sophomore computer science major and USG’s director of business and finance, said USG plans to make a pitch book with the data from the survey to present to the university at the end of March.

“My job is to format the evidence in a way that is appealing to administration, basically tell a story with the data,” Zeinali said.

Once USG meets with administrators from the university, and if the proposal is approved, USG will present its legislation at its public meeting April 3.

Zenali said USG plans to continue its pilot program for the next year or two in order to compile significant data to support the need for free menstrual products on campus.

Weihe hopes the university will consider taking on The Period Project, but she believes USG will still have to pay for some of the cost.

“I think it’s going be like a give and take,” Weihe said. “There’s going to be a negotiation; (the university) won’t pick it up 100 percent.”

The survey went out to undergraduates on Feb. 11. Since then, it’s garnered 700 responses. Students have until March 11 to complete the survey in order to be entered into a raffle to win a $20 Chipotle gift card.

To fill out the survey, go to https://kent.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_eMcJ5WFSpZxen0F

Molly Heideman is a general assignment reporter. Contact her at [email protected]