‘Take Back the Night’ unites community against sexual, relationship violence

Students hold candles and sing “This Little Light of Mine” during the Take Back the Night event for sexual abuse and violence awareness on Oct. 1, 2017.

Hannah Sheridan

Members of Kent State’s community gathered at Risman Plaza Monday to stand in solidarity against sexual, relationship, emotional, domestic and LGBTQ violence during the “Take Back the Night” event.

Sexual and Relationship Violence Support Services headed the event.

“Take Back the Night,” according to SRVSS’ website, “is an international march and rally that started in the 1970s as a protest and direct action against rape and other forms of sexualized violence and sexualized subordination of women.”

“We hope that survivors know that we’re with them and stand with their issues,” said Brianna Williams, a senior public health major and intern for SRVSS. “’Take Back the Night’ gives them a chance to show their own strength. We want them to know we are their allies.”

According to the Take Back the Night Foundation, one in three women worldwide experience sexual or intimate partner violence, and one in six men experience sexual violence. Less than 50 percent of victims report these crimes.

SRVSS placed a fire pit next to a table where students and victims could write down the name of a perpetrator and throw it into the pit to burn as a form of relief.

“Hopefully these kind of events can bring closure to victims,” said Jessica Bartik, a senior communications studies major. “This shouldn’t be the norm for them.”

Students held up signs with phrases such as “Don’t Rape,” and “I Refuse To Be Silent,” while others embraced each other.

Akhil Hill, a senior fashion merchandising major, said events like this bring awareness to how many people are affected on campus.

“Words like ‘abuse’ and ‘violence’ are seen on the internet so much that people who aren’t affected can become desensitized to them,” Hill said. “Seeing people brings things to context.”

JaKyah Beatty, a senior fashion merchandising major and Students Against Sexual Assault member, said victims need to know they have a support system.

Meghan Lee, a graduate assistant at the SRVSS center, led a moment of silence for victims while participants held candles.

Candles burned until attendees blew them out to start their march across campus.

Throughout the event, Lee voiced SRVSS exists on campus to support victims.

“We are here to help Kent State take back the night,” Lee said.

Hannah Sheridan is the women’s and LGBTQ issues reporter. Contact her at [email protected].