SURE program funds student researchers to conduct faculty-supervised research projects

Madeline Sterling is a junior nursing major at Kent State and she was able to participate in a research study last summer as a part of the Summer Undergraduate Research Experience (SURE) program.

Morgan Boyd Reporter

Last summer in the summer research program, junior nursing major Madeline Sterling had the opportunity to participate in a research study involving how environmental factors relate to the emergency room.  

Sterling worked with Mary Anthony, a professor and the associate dean for research in the College of Nursing, to break down the interruptions and disruptions faced by nurses in the trauma room.  

“Participating in the program and conducting my research helped open up many career opportunities for me,” Sterling said.    

The summer research program is an initiative sponsored by the Division of Research and Sponsored Programs at Kent State that funds undergraduate researchers for eight weeks over the summer to engage in research studies hosted by faculty members.  

“We have everything from jewelry making to biology majors participating in the SURE program,” said Ann Gosky, the director of the Division of Research and Sponsored Programs.  

The SURE program supports students with a stipend depending on the number of hours the student works each week. Outside of the stipend, students are also provided on-campus housing if needed.   

“Traditionally, students who work up to 40 hours per week receive the $2,800 stipend, while students who can only work up to 20 hours per week receive the $1,400 stipend,” Gosky said. 

Given the COVID-19 pandemic, this summer’s research program will offer more flexibility to students.  

The SURE program will run from July 7 to July 30 and will offer both an in-person and virtual component. Students will still receive on-campus housing if needed, as well as the recorded stipend.  

“Last year when COVID hit, we all rushed to have students reapply and move the program online,” Gosky said. “This year we plan to make the program more flexible for students by offering both virtual and in-person [aspects].” 

The SURE program not only offers students the chance to conduct research on a variety of topics, including COVID-19 and cancer research, but it also provides students the experience to work one-on-one with professors in their field.  

“The program offers the students the chance to work side by side with professors in hopes of potentially furthering their educational career,” Gosky said. “The program is also an excellent resume builder and helps students build their critical thinking skills.”    

Sterling, who has already presented her research study to a nursing conference, planned to showcase her presentation in this year’s research symposium.  

“The summer research program helped me prepare to showcase my research and truly opened up different career paths I can take,”  Sterling said.

Morgan Boyd covers research. Contact her at [email protected]