College of Nursing hosts 11th Annual Barbara Donaho Award Ceremony for Distinguished Leadership in Nursing

%C2%A0

Abigail Winternitz

The College of Nursing hosted the 11th Annual Barbara Donaho Awards ceremony Thursday night to honor those who have been recognized as role models in the nursing field.

The ceremony kicked off with keynote speaker Mary Kutchin, a lecturer in the College of Nursing and a 2015 recipient of the Donaho Award.

Kutchin said the most important skill a nurse preceptor can learn in his or her field is empathy.

“Empathy doesn’t just happen it’s a learned skill,” Kutchin said. “And all of the award recipients tonight not only have mastered this skill, but have taught their students how to master it as well.”

The event recognized about 30 nurse preceptors from various northeast Ohio facilities, including the University Hospitals Health System, Cleveland Clinic Health System, Akron Children’s Hospital, Aultman Hospital and Louis Stokes Cleveland V.A. Medical Center.

Jennifer Coleman, a Donaho Award recipient and the Clinical Nurse Manager for internal medicine and geriatrics at Cleveland Clinic, said she was honored to receive such a prestigious award.

“It came as a total surprise a welcome surprise,” Coleman said. “But I am very passionate about students and education and of course nursing, so I am very honored to be here.”

Kathleen Norman, the special event coordinator for the College of Nursing, said it is important to recognize the nurse preceptors in the Northeast Ohio area because they are the role models for Kent State nursing students when they go out into their respective fields.

“They provide the hands-on learning and provide excellent examples for care for our students,” Norman said. “They really take our students’ experience to the next level.”

The College of Nursing has honored nearly 300 Northeast Ohio medical professionals with the Donaho Distinguished Leadership in Learning Award specifically registered nurses for their time, talent and dedication in providing expert training of nursing students.

Abigail Winternitz is the College of Nursing and Public Health reporter, contact her at [email protected].