Kent State wrestler dismissed for misconduct

Former Kent State wrestler Jairod James walks away after punching Ohio red-shirt sophomore Arsen Ashughyan in face at the M.A.C. Center on Sunday, Jan. 22, 2017. James was disqualified from the match. Kent lost 2-43.

Henry Palattella

A member of the Kent State wrestling team has been removed following misconduct at last Sunday’s match against Ohio University.

Redshirt sophomore Jairod James was kicked off the team for throwing a punch during a match against a member of Ohio University’s wrestling team, according to a statement made by Kent State Athletics Friday night.

“Jairod James has been dismissed from the team after repeated violations of team and athletic department rules,” the athletics department announced in a statement Friday night.

James — who wrestled in the 174-weight class — was winning his match against the Bobcats’ Arsen Ashughyan by a score of 6-4 at the end of the third period, but he was called for a flagrant misconduct after he threw a punch at Ashughyan’s head. The move was ruled a flagrant misconduct, and he was disqualified from the match.

Prior to Sunday’s match, James held a 17-5 overall record on the season to go along with a 7-2 record in duals. The NCAA requires a one-event suspension following any flagrant misconduct.

Head coach Jim Andrassy confirmed the removal of James from the wrestling team.

“I think — as a coach, staff and administration — you can go back and look at other reasons that make this decision (or removing James from the team) really easy. If there weren’t other things underlying, maybe it wouldn’t have been a removal of the team. I can’t answer that.”

James finished 17-7 overall and finished fourth at the MAC championships in 2016. Prior to being kicked off the team, he was ranked 27th in the country in the 174-weight class.

James’ page on the Kent State Wrestling website has been deleted. His athletic scholarship will cover until the end of the semester. 

Henry is the sports editor, contact him at [email protected].