KINK holds ‘Fifty Shades’ screening to debunk BDSM myths

Benjamin VanHoose

Following a screening of last year’s box office hit “Fifty Shades of Grey” Wednesday night in the KIVA, officers of K.I.N.K. led a discussion on the Bondage, Domination/Discipline, Submission/Sadism and Masochism (BDSM) community as portrayed in media. The frank conversation covered safety, facts and myths pertaining to the lifestyle, citing several moments from the film that highlight inaccuracies.

“We want people to know that everything they see onscreen may not translate well to real life,” said Alicen Huggins, a junior psychology major and vice president of K.I.N.K. “We want them to be aware that there is a club on campus that can teach them the right way to do it.”

Brief technical difficulties with audio playback forced the student speakers of K.I.N.K. (Kent State Is Now Kinky) to open up to a few questions from the nearly 50 students in attendance before resuming the film.

“Fifty Shades of Grey,” based on the best-selling novel by E.L. James, follows Anastasia Steele (Dakota Johnson) as she is swooned by billionaire Christian Grey (Jamie Dornan), who introduces her to BDSM.

During the analysis of the movie, K.I.N.K. members were not hesitant in expressing their disapproval of the film’s portrayal of the community. 

“I think the movie’s biggest flaw is how it treats BDSM as the product of abuse or type of mental illness,” said David Rosen, a junior philosophy major and treasurer of K.I.N.K. “Perfectly healthy, happy people can engage in BDSM activities in a safe manner.”

Students in the audience also voiced their opinions of the film, chuckling, sighing and yelling at the screen during particular scenes.

“The audience seemed to pick up on similar issues as we did,” said Jarrad Myers, a senior physics major and president of K.I.N.K. “I just hope they left with a better understanding of the community.”

“I want people to leave with questions,” Rosen said. “I’m not going to assume everyone at this event is secretly into BDSM or that we’ll convert anyone—I do think we’ll open some minds and teach people some things they may not have been exposed to.” 

“Fifty Shades”grossed more than $571 million at the worldwide box office and was nominated for one Academy Award. Misrepresentation of BDSM aside, members of K.I.N.K. said they are glad the film brought the subject to a wider audience and created a dialogue.

“The movie made (BDSM) very mainstream but in a light that isn’t what the community really is,” Myers said.

Production on the sequel “Fifty Shades Darker” began last month and is scheduled for a February 2017 release date. Huggins said she will still see future installments of the franchise—if only to find errors.

“You have to know your enemies,” she said. 

Benjamin VanHoose is an entertainment reporter for the Kent Stater. Contact him at [email protected].