Upcoming job fair to help seniors

Alexandria Kobryn

The start of the spring semester typically includes daydreaming of summer vacation while trudging through the seemingly endless days full of slushy snow to get to class. For some seniors, spring semester is spent attempting a lengthy search to land a job for their potential careers.

Krittika Chatterjee, a career counselor in the Career Services Center, offered advice on the best ways to land a job.

“Network. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, only 30 percent of jobs are actually advertised (and) 70 percent are not,” Chatterjee said. “Today, it’s not just what you know. It’s not even who you know. It’s how well you know them.”

Allison Hessel graduated in December of 2015 with a degree in English. She also emphasized the importance of networking.

“I went to the Kent State Job and Internship Fair and networked a lot there,” Hessel said. “There were a lot of people I met.”

Hessel was offered and accepted a job in her field before graduation.

“I was submitting my resume … actively submitting job applications everyday up until I started doing interviews,” she said.

Ashley Baldner, a senior psychology major graduating in May, said she plans on attending this semester’s job fair on Feb. 25 in order to prepare for work after college. Baldner said she’s made connections with many of her professors and on-campus faculty members.

“Go to class … go to office hours and introduce yourself,” Baldner said. “I’ve already made some connections with a few faculty members and they know me on a first name basis. I’ve already had a few professors, and my boss, actually tell me they’d write me a letter of recommendation.”

Other important advice provided by Chatterjee included building a resume and cover letter, joining student professional organizations, mock interviewing, creating an online brand and visiting Career Services.

For graduating seniors, Hessel has some advice.

“It’s never too early to start interviewing and practicing interviewing,” said Hessel. “The main advice I have is just to relax.”

Upcoming job fair Alexandria Kobryn is a jobs reporter for The Kent Stater.Email him at [email protected].