Hillel Kicks Off Jewish New Year Celebration

Kelly Powell

The Kent State University Hillel chapter is beginning its celebration of the Jewish High Holidays on Sunday from 5-8 p.m.

The High Holidays consist of Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur. Chaya Kessler, Jewish Studies Program Director, called the two holidays the most important in Judaism.

“Rosh Hashanah’s main theme is welcoming in a sweet new year,” said Mara Cash, freshman psychology major. “Yom Kippur is a day of atonement and righting wrongs and mistakes.”

To kick off the Jewish New Year, the event hosted by the Cohn Jewish Center, will include a candle lighting ceremony, dinner and opportunity for students to celebrate.

“It’s a super fun, happy holiday,” said Elana Sandler, sophomore fashion merchandising major, when speaking of Rosh Hashanah. Kessler described it as the opportunity to, “turn over a new leaf.”

It is tradition to eat apples and honey on Rosh Hashanah. This is meant to represent the hopeful sweetness of the upcoming year. Hillel will provide the treat Sunday at 7:30 p.m.

“Hillel is a home away from home for these (Jewish) students,” Kessler said. “It gives them a place to hang out.”

Kelly Powell is the religion beat reporter for The Kent Stater. Contact her at [email protected].