SALSA to hold first annual Latin Festival

The Spanish Latino Student Association hosted Latino Palooza at Eastway Friday, Sept. 12, 2014 in honor of Hispanic Heritage Month.

Daisha Overstreet

The Spanish and Latino Student Association (SALSA) will hold its first annual Latin Festival Wednesday, April 1, from 6 to 8 p.m. in the Student Center Ballroom.

Funded by the Undergraduate Student Government, the festival will consist of various student organizations that will display the contributions and issues in Latino culture.

“It’s going to be a cultural enrichment program offered by Latino-oriented departments, organizations, sororities and fraternities,” Natalia Roman, president of SALSA, said.

The Student Multicultural Center, Brazilian Student Association, Alpha Psi Lambda (first KSU coed Latino fraternity), Lambda Theta Nu Sorority, Inc. (first KSU Latina sorority) and Phi Iota Alpha Fraternity, Inc. (first KSU Latino fraternity) are just some of the organizations that will be of attendance.

“Each organization will have a table with information and resources about what they do and also a representative will talk about different issues and stereotypes in the Latin-American community,” Roman said. “For example, PRIDE! Kent will talk about issues with being a sexual minority, or a Latino who also identify with the LGBTQ community.”

She said other sensitive topics like green cards and documentation will also be discussed during the event.

There will also be a live African-Caribbean band that will play different genres of Latin music like Cumbia, Salsa, and Merengue.

Attendees will get to taste Latin-American food samples and learn dances of those different music genres.

To learn more about the Latin Festival, http://www.kent.edu/whatsup.

Contact Daisha Overstreet at [email protected]