Snow day gives students winter reprieve

Katie Chilson

Photo

Freshman finance major Brycen Wise lays out in an attempt to catch the football in the endzone during a pick-up game on Centennial Field on Monday, Feb. 2, 2015. Kent State and much of Northeast Ohio was closed for the day due to heavy snowfall and icy conditions. Photo by Rachael Le Goubin.

About 10 to 12 inches of snow pounded Northeast Ohio on Sunday and Monday, closing Kent State’s main campus and three of its branch campuses.

Kent State’s Trumbull, Salem and Geauga campuses as well as the university’s Regional Academic Center in Twinsburg and its College of Podiatric Medicine in Independence were closed today.

The university’s Ashtabula campus cancelled classes while its East Liverpool Campus was closed until noon.

The National Weather Service issued a Hazardous Weather Outlook for Northeast and Northwest Ohio as well as Northwest Pennsylvania effective until Sunday. Wind chills will be in the single digits below zero Tuesday morning and Thursday and Friday mornings.

Having a full day off from classes Monday gave students the opportunity to enjoy the cold weather.

Sunday night, students received a Flash Alert notifying them that all classes before noon were cancelled. It had been snowing for the majority of the day, leaving the campus covered in a blanket of white. So students joined together to create a huge snowball fight.

“I was in Eastway and I looked out the window and saw tons of people out there,” said Mackenzie Zeller, a freshman fashion merchandising major. “We went to just go look, but there were so many people that we decided to join in. There were literally hundreds of people.”

Campus buzzed with students outside playing in the snow. Besides the snowball fight, students went sledding on the hill outside of Taylor Hall.

Monday morning, students received another Flash Alert canceling all classes for the remainder of the day.

Kaitlyn Huddleston, a sophomore public health major, and her friends participated in the late-night snowball fight, and when they saw classes were cancelled Monday, they went sledding, raced down the hill on plastic trays, laughing and taking pictures.

Not all students used the day off to play in the snow. Some used it to relax and catch up on sleep.

“I’ve watched five episodes of ‘Vampire Diaries’ on Netflix,” said Courtney Proctor, a freshman accounting major. “I’ve also taken a nap today. That’s all I’ve done all day.”

Students also used the day to catch up on schoolwork and study.

“I’m getting homework out of the way and maybe later I’ll watch a movie,” said Nate Turner, a freshman theatre studies major. “When I got the email cancelling classes, I thought, ‘what a relief.’”

No matter what students did with their day off, campus was filled with activity. From snowballs and sledding to studying and watching Netflix, students used the day off to their advantage.

Contact Katie Chilson at [email protected].

Photo

A university groundskeeper shovels the stairs leading up to the May 4 memorial on Monday, Feb. 2, 2015. While students at Kent State and all of its regional campuses had the day off because of heavy snow, certain staff members still worked diligently to clear the thick snow and dangerous ice so classes can resume Tuesday. Photo by Graham Smith.

Photo

A group of students walk through the deep snow past a happy and smiling Taylor Hall on Monday, Feb. 2, 2015. Taylor Hall and the students may all be smiling because of the snow day across all Kent State campuses due to heavy snow and a rain mix that lead to dangerous ice on roads and sidewalks. Photo by Graham Smith.

Photo

Freshman fashion merchandising major Mariah Tomasetti tries to take selfies as she and her friend Victoria Johnston, a junior fashion design major, ride a sled down the hill outside of Kent Hall on Monday, Feb. 2, 2015. Students across many of Kent State’s campuses had the day off due to heavy snow across northeast Ohio the night before. Photo by Graham Smith.

Photo

A group of guys brave the weather to play a pick-up game of tackle football on Centennial Field during the snow day on Monday, Feb. 2, 2015. Kent State and much of Northeast Ohio was closed for the day due to heavy snowfall and icy conditions. Photo by Rachael Le Goubin.

Photo

Sophia Parker, age 3, Rachel Wemyss and Ben Atwood from Ravenna sled down the Front Campus hill during Kent State’s snow day Monday, Feb. 2, 2015. Kent State and much of Northeast Ohio was closed today due to heavy snowfall and icy conditions. Photo by Rachael Le Goubin.

Photo

Sophia Parker, age 3, Rachel Wemyss and Ben Atwood get a push from Marybeth Parker as they sled down the Front Campus hill during Kent State’s snow day Monday, Feb. 2, 2015. Kent State and much of Northeast Ohio was closed today due to heavy snowfall and icy conditions. Photo by Rachael Le Goubin.