Kent State, community honor legacy of Martin Luther King, Jr.

Civil Rights leader Julian Bond is a chairman emeritus for the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP). Photo courtesy of Kent State University.

Kent State and the surrounding communities will celebrate Martin Luther King, Jr. day and honor King’s legacy with the following events:

Martin Luther King, Jr. Day: Mon., Jan. 19

“Just” for a Day service event

Community service events with local nonprofit organizations from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Register for the event here.

Edward L. Peel Coleman Community Center Celebration

Exhibits and entrepreneur tables, health screenings, outstanding community service awards, musical guests and speakers from 10 a.m. to noon at the Edward L. Peel Coleman Community Center, 1400 Sherrick Road S.E., Canton.

Thurs., Jan. 22

Kent State’s 13th Annual Martin Luther King, Jr. celebration

Dialogue series: “Race in America”

The first of Kent State University’s Dialogue Series, held from 1:30-3:15 p.m. in the African Community Theatre in Oscar Ritchie Hall.

Silent Memorial March

Begins 3:15 p.m. at Oscar Ritchie Hall and heads to Kent State Student Center Ballroom. 

Julian Bond: “From Civil Rights to Civil War: The history of the racial struggle in the United States”

Civil Rights leader Julian Bond is a chairman emeritus for the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) and professor of history at The University of Virginia. Bond will give the event’s keynote address at 4 p.m. in the Kent Student Center Ballroom. The event is free to attend but tickets must be reserved and downloaded at www.kent.edu/diversity.

“From MLK to Mike Brown: A Series of Inconvenient Movements’

National political contributor Jason Johnson, Ph. D., will present at noon at Hiram College’s Kennedy Center Ballroom.

Fri., Jan. 23

Cultural Extravaganza

6-8 p.m. in the Kent State Student Center Kiva

Wed., Jan. 28

The Game of Life: An interactive inequality simulation

4:30-7 p.m. in the Kent Student Center Ballroom 

Soup & Substance

An interfaith panel discussing peace and service to others.

Noon-1:30 p.m. in the Student Multicultural Center on the second floor of the Kent Student Center.