Fridays to showcase Flashes pride

Marissa Barnhart

School spirit is no longer just for homecoming and sporting events.

Kent State President Beverly Warren is asking all students and employees to wear Kent State’s signature colors as part of a new tradition called Blue and Gold Friday.

“We are one university family, and one of the best ways to bring that to life is by wearing blue and gold,” Warren said in an email. “Everyone can see and feel the school spirit thriving on campus as we begin this new school year, and I believe this new Friday tradition will be something we can all look forward to each week as a way to unite us.”

Kristan Dolan, marketing coordinator for the Center of Student Involvement, said this is something the school has been trying to implement for a while, and she is happy to have Warren taking initiative.

“It creates more unity, togetherness and overall increases our school spirit,” Dolan said of the new tradition.

Dolan said she hopes everyone, including faculty and staff, take part this Friday.

“A lot of professionals on campus don’t always wear T-shirts, but anything blue and gold, like a blouse, works,” Dolan said.

She hopes the university community understands the importance of creating school spirit.

Students can spread the word and show off their school spirit on Twitter using the hashtag #BlueAndGoldFriday.

Contact Marissa Barnhart at [email protected].