Who’s who at Kent State

Emily Mills

As a new student at Kent State, you most likely don’t know very much about the people who make the decisions that will directly affect you on campus — the university president and her cabinet. This list will tell you what each person does to help make your college experience the best it can be.

Beverly Warren, president: Warren is the face of the university. She’s mostly responsible for fundraising for the school.

Dennis Eckart, chair of the Board of Trustees: Eckart is a lawyer and former member of the House of Representatives. As chair of the Board of Trustees, he oversees Kent State’s policies and affairs.

Todd Diacon, senior vice president for academic affairs and provost: Diacon oversees everything academic at Kent State, including the university’s ten different colleges and seven regional campuses.

Joseph Vitale, Jr., interim vice president of human resources: Vitale serves as a resource to Kent State employees, helping to hire new people and keep them happy while they’re here.

Gregg Floyd, senior vice president of business and finance: Floyd is in charge of the money at Kent State, ensuring facilities are in good condition and the university is safe for students, faculty and staff.

Edward Mahon, vice president of information services: Mahon is the tech guy. He’s oversees the Wi-Fi and any technological devices on campus.

Alfreda Brown, vice president of diversity, equity and inclusion: Brown ensures Kent State has a range of different kinds of students, faculty and staff and that they’re all treated fairly.

Steve Sokany, interim vice president of institutional advancement and executive director of the KSU Foundation: Sokany mostly deals with donors to the university. He is also in charge of the KSU Foundation, a not-for-profit organization legally separate from Kent State that allows for private donations to the university.

Greg Jarvie, vice president of enrollment management and student affairs: Jarvie makes sure you’re going to have a good time at Kent State. He oversees offices such as admissions, the Center for Student Involvment (which is where all student organizations are based), Dining Services, Recreational Services and Residence Services.

W. Grant McGimpsey, vice president of research and sponsored programs: McGimpsey oversees university endeavors to learn new things. He helps raise money for research and make sure Kent State remains a top research-based university.

Willis Walker, vice president of general counsel and governmental affairs: Walker is in charge of everything legal at Kent State. He is the legal representative of the university and advises students, faculty and staff on university-related legal matters.

Iris Harvey, vice president of university relations and chief marketing communications officer: Harvey promotes the university in the public to help people learn more about it and become interested in it.

Joel Nielsen, athletic director of intercollegiate athletics: Nielsen is the sports guy; he’s the face of the sports department, which includes baseball, basketball, cross country, field hockey, football, golf, gymnastics, soccer, softball, track and field, volleyball and wrestling.

Charlene Reed, vice president and university secretary: Reed works with the president and Board of Trustees. She also serves as a communicator between the university and off-campus agencies.

Monique Menefee, graduate student trustee, Board of Trustees: Menefee is a higher education administration and student personnel grad student and a non-voting member of the Board of Trustees. She serves as a mediator between the board and her fellow graduate students. Her term began on July 19, 2013 and ends on May 16, 2015.

Perry “PJ” Kimmel, undergraduate student trustee, Board of Trustees: Kimmel is a junior finance major and a non-voting member of the Board of Trustees. He serves as a liaison between the Board of Trustees and the Kent State student body. His term began earlier this month and ends on May 16, 2016.

Emily Mills is the principal reporter for the Daily Kent Stater. Contact her at [email protected].