Hospitality companies offer advice for future student workers

Aanchal Bakshi

Students interact with business professionals at the second annual Hospitality Management Career Fair, Monday, March 10, 2014, at the Moulton Hall Ballroom.

Julia Sprowls

Kent State’s hospitality management program held its second annual career fair in the Moulton Hall ballroom Monday afternoon.

Representatives from various lodging, casino, restaurant and private club businesses were there for students to talk with. The event was exclusive to hospitality management majors, minors and alumni, recreation, park and tourism management majors, event planning minors and graduate students in hospitality and tourism management at Kent State.

Twenty-nine companies were there, up from the 25 that were there last year. Most companies were from surrounding major cities, and each company had a table with a representative who offered assistance and handed out information on their company, as well as some freebies. Students walked from table to table talking to companies who were potentially looking to hire Kent State students for various jobs and internships.

Swathi Ravichandran, foundation, leadership and administration associate professor coordinated the event and said she purposely chose to have it in the Moulton Hall ballroom because it is near where hospitality students have classes, and they could therefore, expect a better turnout.

Students lined up at the check-in table shortly after 1 p.m. and continued to come and go until the event ended at 4 p.m. Some students and company representatives moved to the lobby for personal interviews and to fill out applications. Even students with internships already lined up came to walk around the career fair.

Haley Sovik, a senior interior design major, said Kalahari Resorts and Conventions was the most beneficial company there for her because it helped her decide her major.

Sophomore hospitality management major Taylor Cox said, “It was great, especially in helping our generation with getting jobs.”

Professors from various hospitality management courses were there to help direct students and monitor the event.

This is the second year Ravichandran has organized the event, and she said she no doubt plans to do it again next year.

“At the end of the day, it’s about making the employers happy,” she said. “And they said they were very pleased with the turnout.”

Contact Julia Sprowls at [email protected].