KSU receives sixth consecutive Tree Campus USA designation

Tree Campus USA

Justin Sheil

Kent State received the Arbor Day Foundation’s Tree Campus USA designation for the sixth consecutive year. The designation is granted to universities with commitment toward campus tree management and conservation.

Dedication from Kent State’s groundskeepers is a contributing factor in the campus earning this designation, along with the $140,000 in total expenditures for 2013 involved in tree planting, management and preservation.

All of Kent State’s groundskeepers have taken an eight-hour pruning class that focuses on young tree maintenance.

“That’s the critical time to correct any structural issues if there are any,” Kent State Grounds Manager Heather White said. “You want to make sure you do it right.”

With all of the construction on campus, the University Facilities Management department works closely with the Office of the University Architect to replant around new construction, White also said.

Part of earning the award is maintaing a tree advisory board. The tree advisory board aids in recommending ideas for a campus tree plan.

White is eager to find more students to participate on the board.

“I’m definitely looking for students who want to be involved,” White said. “We are looking to increase the vocal constituency for canopy cover and trees on campus.”

For more information about Tree Campus USA, visit Arbor Day’s Tree Campu USA webpage.

To join the campus tree advisory board, contact Heather White at [email protected] or 330-672-0817.

Contact Justin Sheil at [email protected].