Jerusalem Center for Public Affairs hosts student essay contest

Danielle Hess

The Jerusalem Center for Public Affairs, a research center in Israel, is currently accepting submissions for its first annual student essay competition.

The winning entry will be published in the Jewish Political Studies Review, the Jerusalem Center’s semiannual publication. First, second and third place winners’ work will be featured on the Student Portal of the Jerusalem Center’s website.

Chaya Kessler, director of Kent State’s Jewish Studies Program, said she encourages Jewish and non-Jewish students to enter the competition because this year’s topic, “Security and Diplomatic Challenges Facing the State of Israel,” is an interesting one for students to explore, and there’s a prize incentive for the winners.

“This is a different and challenging competition that will show what students can do beyond the classroom,” Kessler said.

She said students will have to thoroughly research the topic during winter break and form an opinion on the issue.

“This is not a clear-cut issue, and there are many aspects to this debate,” Kessler said. “It will be interesting to see how students form their own opinion and deal with writing an essay like this.”

Daniel Potteiger, senior communications major, said he is interested in the competition because the winners will have their essays published.

“Having a published essay would look great on a resume, and I think winning this competition could really help me land a job in the future,” Potteiger said.

Potteiger said he doesn’t know much about Israel but is excited about researching the topic because he thinks it sounds interesting and is something worth knowing about.

“This topic is completely new to me, but I think I’ll have a shot at winning if I really research the topic well,” Potteiger said.

All essays must be between 2,500 and 4,500 words and must be written in English, according to the application. The competition is open to all college and university students enrolled for the 2013-2014 academic year. Essays must be submitted by 5 p.m. on Jan. 10, 2014.

The completed application form and two attached copies of the essay can be emailed to [email protected].

Contact Danielle Hess at [email protected].