KSU faculty, students to attend country’s largest public-health conference

Emily Mills

Faculty and students from the College of Public Health are taking part in the American Public Health Association’s Annual Meeting and Exposition in Boston. The conference starts Saturday and will end Wednesday.

The conference’s theme is “Think Global, Act Local: Best Practices Around the World.”

“It’s a wonderful opportunity to hear from people all over the world and share ideas and learn from one another,” said Ken Slenkovich, assistant dean for the College of Public Health.

He said more than 13,000 public-health professionals, educators and students from around the world will participate this year in the largest public-health conference in the country.

Nine faculty and six graduate students are attending the conference. Several will be presenting their research findings from studies they have done, including Ginger Yang, a professor in the College of Public Health; Mark James, the chairman of the Department of Environmental Health Sciences; and Vanessa Marshall, a doctoral student in the College of Public Health.

The college will have a table set up in the conference’s exhibition hall to promote the college. Slenkovich said he hopes the college can recruit prospective students.

He said it’s also an opportunity for the graduate students to network with future employers.

“It’s a great opportunity for us to get the word out about Kent State University’s College of Public Health,” Slenkovich said. “There will be academic institutions there from all over the world. It’s a chance for us to be there with our peers.”

Contact Emily Mills at [email protected].