KSU students reflect on 9/11 12 years later

HOW SHOULD WE HONOR 9/11 AFTER 12 YEARS?

“We shouldn’t pretend like it never happened, but we should also try to move on and not live in fear. We need to honor those that lost their lives but not use it as a way to politically make life about fighting terrorists and how awful other parts of the world are.”

WHAT DOES 9/11 MEAN TO YOU?

“It was like the first time I realized that bad things can happen to me in America. And that war, people getting hurt and stuff can happen here.”

— Jessica Mulvany, junior psychology major

WHAT DOES IT MEAN GROWING UP IN A POST 9/11 WORLD?

“I think it made everyone a little more aware of their surroundings. It also made us stronger–it made America come together. Everyone mourned over the loss, and it was an eyeopener. To remember it, we all have to come together and honor it.”

— Kelsey Soehnlen, junior accounting major

“By remembering and talking about it. Sharing with the younger generation what it meant to us.”

— Kayley Michuta, freshman exploratory major

“Well, there’s always been terrorism, but I think now, we are more prepared, aware and cautious. It could be dangerous with too much caution, but I guess if we’re prepared for future attacks, that’s nice. But we seem really on edge about it.”

WHAT DOES 9/11 MEAN TO YOU?

“We should definitely acknowledge the people injured, killed and heavily affected. We should give moment of silence to those who passed. But we should go on with our day to day life, we have no reason to be fearful. We should acknowledge what happened, but whenever 9/11 comes up,w e get fear in our eyes, and that’s not a way to live life.”

—Adri Montes, junior integrated social studies major

WHEN DOES 9/11 BECOME HISTORY AND NO LONGER IMPORTANT NEWS?

“I don’t think it ever became history for me because every year, it’s like reliving it when that date comes. History to me is when something is long gone, but I feel this is still fresh and seems like it happened recently.”

—Elaina DeRose, freshman managerial marketing major

“I think it should always be news because it hit us so deep but to the time. It becomes history, probably about twenty years from now, just because people are still going to be affected forever.

—Wesley Nader, junior exploratory major

HOW SHOULD WE HONOR 9/11 AFTER 12 YEARS

“We should take time to re-watch the footage–to remember the pain so that we don’t ever forget. Remember the heroes–the firefighters who knew the building was coming down and ran in anyway; the people who braved toxic ash and dust and who are now dying because of it–those who tried to save a stranger’s life.”

“It was history the instant it happened, in a philosophical sense. But it will never be unimportant. It has changed the way America functions. Even if hundreds of years from now people forget that event, they will still live in the aftermath whether or not they realize it. It will never be unimportant.”

—Sondra Twedt, senior geology major

WHAT DOES 9/11 MEAN TO YOU?

“It meant a lot of panic—I remember my mom and dad being super overprotective even though we weren’t in any direct danger. It meant everyone being terrified. When I think about it today, I’m proud of the way we all stood together. We could’ve disbanded but everyone stayed united.”

“I went and saw the 9/11 memorial in New York, and that was amazing. I think that if you’re lucky enough to get the opportunity to see it, everyone should take that opportunity. Even though I didn’t lose anyone in any of the crashes, or knew anyone who lost someone, it was so impactful to walk through that memorial. Your breath is just taken away. You just cry because you see what our country went through and you see the names of the people who lost their lives. I think it’s all about just taking a second to think about where you were when it happened and really actively think about what happened.”

— Abbey Bruder, senior nursing major

“I don’t think it should stop being important. Once we stop talking about it, it will (no longer be important). I think about it throughout the year. Once we stop explaining it to others, it’ll be forgotten.”

—Amanda Shackelford, freshman business management major

“I say we need to remember the attacks, but we can’t live in the past. We have to take a step forward, still take this day to remember them but not let it hold us back. Let’s live for their lives they gave.”

—Danny Gossard, junior public health (health care administration) major

“It’s important to remember those who passed away that day and the soldiers who fearlessly died protecting us. And from that tragedy, Americans can grow stronger each day in unity.”

—Gabrielle Payne, freshman fashion merchandising major

“I feel like I’m growing up in a society that has come to stigmatize people from the middle east as this terrorist community. I don’t think we should judge people that way. I think we should be wary because of the security issue, but I do think they take it to an extreme. Most people aren’t related to it but we stigmatize them based on their appearance.”

—Lindsay Mitchell, junior nursing major

“It’s a lesson we should always think about. You’re never going to forget really important things. It’s a day you should think about all the people you have because that’s the most important thing.”

—Emily Graydon, freshman education/health/human service major

“It’s never going to become something we forget. The nation came together that day.”

—Victoria Fortin, freshman undecided major

WHAT DOES 9/11 MEAN TO YOU?

“It’s a day of tragedy. It’s a horrible day in American history/recent American history. I knew some people who were around there when it happened. So it kind of hits a little bit at home. It should be something that should be remembered, for those who died on that day.”

—Daniel Dudley, freshman biology major

WHAT DOES 9/11 MEAN TO YOU?

“It’s just a significant day. I think it’s one of the most significant events that this world has gone through. It’s just kind of remembrance of all the stuff that’s happened, who fights for us and all that.”

—Lea Rich, junior zoology major

“The biggest thing that I’ve noticed is that it really affected everybody’s consciousness. I think it really changed everybody’s perspective on life. It’s not as happy-go-lucky or kind of this lackadaisical [mindset too], you know, go after your own dreams and play around.”

“I think we should honor it by educating ourselves about the world around us because, in a way, that kind of snapped us into this global consciousness…Tragedy happened on our soil, so I think it should be a time to reflect on everyone around the world and how we can connect as a world like we did as a country during the tragedy.”

—Korey Cleaver, senior integrative studies major

WHAT DOES 9/11 MEAN TO YOU?

“I guess it showed that America isn’t always strong, that we’re vulnerable like anyone else, and that we’ll come together, no matter what.”

—Parker Anderson, freshman anthropology major

WHAT DOES 9/11 MEAN TO YOU?

“Nine-Eleven means that, no matter what our country’s going through and what our different views are, we still can come together in times of need and help each other out.”

—Mitchell Monahan, freshman English major

Angel Mack — [email protected], Kelli Fitzpatrick — [email protected], Megan Wilkinson — [email protected]) contributed to this story.