Opinion: Newbies: Go to class, don’t drink too much

Shawn Mercer

Shawn Mercer

Shawn Mercer is a junior integrated life sciences major and columnist for the Summer Kent Stater. Contact him at [email protected].

The college experience is defined by choices. Most likely, there will be many more choices presented to you now than in your high school years. In my mind, each of these choices should be made erring on the side of self-interest and personal exploration.

The reason you are here is to complete your education and obtain a degree that will help you pursue a career that will make you enough money to support yourself and hopefully make you happy. This is the primary objective; all else is secondary.

This comes down to two decisions that will greatly increase your chance of graduating: go to class and do not become an alcoholic. People who go to class, with a few exceptions, do better than those who do not.

Getting involved outside of class should come only after your academic bases are covered. Find something that interests you and meet some new people. Networking and creating contacts can only help you find a career or job you love.

Personally, I am involved in the College Republicans and enjoy time with the like-minded people that I met through the club.

Finding a part-time job is another great way to stay busy outside of class. There’s no denying the benefit that a little income can have during college. There are also a bunch of opportunities here on campus for work.

Finding a way to be active in the community, both on and off campus, gives you a great perspective on what is going around you. Find something important to you and advocate for it with other students and members of the community.

Your twenties is not a throwaway decade, so it is important to take care of yourself. Staying active, eating health and working towards balance in your life will help you make the best of your college years and your life after.