Welcome Weekend brings new school year in with a Flash

Students listen to live music at sunset on the Student Green during Blastoff, where student organizations congregated to spark interest and recruit new students on Aug. 25, 2013.

Robert Carroll

Welcome Weekend at Kent State means the start of another new, exciting school year, beginning with freshmen move-in day and ending with the traditional Blast-off event on the student green.

When freshmen moved in Thursday, some may not have known what to expect. With the mixed feelings of fear, anxiety, worry, excitement and stress, the story was quite the opposite.

“My favorite part has been meeting a ton of new people from different areas and different cultures,” said freshman visual communication design major Lauren Friedman. “Everyone is super welcoming and nice here.”

Friday began when freshmen met with their individual colleges for the dean’s welcome. After learning of what to expect for the next four years, the freshmen headed over to University Convocation to experience the grandeur of ceremonious events on campus.

“My favorite part [of Welcome Weekend] was convocation because you got to see all the colleges and what Kent has to offer,” said freshman aeronautics major Lennox West. West said he enjoyed seeing all the colleges come together for an event in one place.

Rockin’ in the Plaza outside Eastway, presented by the Kent Interhall Council, provided free music until 11:30 p.m. Saturday. Many students attended the event to enjoy a nice evening with their new friends and Kent family. Others walked around campus to start seeing where their first day of classes would be.

Blast-off, which took place 6:30 – 8:30 p.m. at the student green, is one of the most popular traditions of Welcome Weekend. Freshmen listened to live music by D.J. Breezy and Evan Evolution and explored more than 200 student organizations that participated in this year’s event to decide which fit them best.

“I would consider joining Hall Council and To Write Love on Her Arms,” said sophomore psychology major Nikki Stevens, who experienced Welcome Weekend for the first time because she is new to campus. “Hall Council seems like a great way to meet new people.”

Not only could the students learn about the various organizations but also enjoy it with new friends and win prizes for participating.

“4 the Love of Paws and UNICEF seem interesting to me,” said freshman exploratory major Danielle Dindal. “They seem like really awesome organizations I could fit in to.”

Blast-off, one of the more memorable events of Welcome Weekend, was a great way to “blast off” a new school year in Golden Flash style.

Contact Robert Carroll at [email protected].