Peer Involvement Advising to being in the fall

Grace Murray

Beginning this upcoming fall semester, being involved on campus can offer more than a resume boost.

Officials in the Kent State University Center for Student Involvement are inviting students to become peer involvement advisers for their new initiative Peer Involvement Advising, said Katherine Goldring, student activities coordinator.

“[PIA] was developed as a way to help students who are struggling to find what’s available on campus, such as programs, groups, events,” Goldring said. “Sometimes students miss that connection, so we wanted to create a program to help.”

Peer involvement adviser requirements

• Sophomore, junior or senior class standing

• Engaged in one or more of CSI’s 290 student organizations or other areas of campus life

• Available for five to 10 office hours per week, as well as monthly meetings

• Grade point average of 2.25 or higher

• Open to attend training sessions prior to the fall 2013 semester

All information gathered from the CSI website.

The program will be introduced in First Year Experience courses and residence halls, as well as during Destination Kent State, according to a university press release.

“I want to make sure we are reaching students early,” Goldring said. “The goal is involvement, and the earlier we talk to students, the better.”

Goldring said, in addition to bettering their leadership skills, peer involvement advisers will receive a book scholarship each semester.

“We’re only taking five students for next year, so it’s going to be a pretty competitive process,” Goldring said. “We’re looking for those students who have been positively affected by their involvement and who are excited to share that experience with fellow Kent State students.”

Applications to become a peer involvement adviser can be found in Room 226 of the Kent State Student Center or online at www.kent.edu/csi. The deadline to submit is April 19.

Contact Grace Murray at [email protected].