Kent State will receive funding from Ohio based on retention and graduation rates

Leighann McGivern

Kent State main campus will receive an increase of more than $5.1 million in state funding for fiscal year 2013 to 2014, according to a calculation of the State Share of Instruction, released Thursday.

The main campus received the highest percentage increase in funding among public universities at 5.3 percent. The Kent State branch campuses in total received a 1.8 percent increase in state funding, although the Trumball campus’ funding decreased by 0.4 percent.

Gov. John Kasich announced his $63.3 billion two-year budget plan Monday, which included a new funding formula for higher education that would place a stronger emphasis on graduation, among other performance-based reforms.

The State Share of Instruction is the formula used to distribute the bulk of state money provided to Ohio’s public colleges and universities.

• Half of the state’s contribution will be awarded based on how many students finish their degree.
  • The proposal removes the “Stop-Loss,” a mechanism through which the state mitigated funding losses at poor-performing institutions.
  • It also removes some funds historically set aside, and redistributes them using the new formula.
  • Instead of providing funding at community and technical colleges based on course enrollment, the state shifts its focus to course completion.
  • The state will review an existing program called the Success Point incentive system to ensure it also focuses on course and degree completion.

Kasich’s plan also included a 2 percent tuition cap for public universities. Last year, the Kent State Board of Trustees voted to raise tuition by 3.5 percent and will likely set next year’s tuition at its March meeting. It is unclear whether the increase in state funding will have an affect on the board’s tuition decision.

The State Share of Instruction, part of its contribution to state universities, will increase by 1.9 percent to $1.78 billion in fiscal year 2014 and by 1.9 percent in fiscal year 2015 to a total of $1.82 billion, according to Ohio’s Office of Budget and Management website. (http://obm.ohio.gov/SectionPages/Budget/FY1415/Default.aspx)

“Gov. Kasich clearly understands the important role higher education plays in the economic revitalization of Ohio and our nation,” President Lester Lefton said. “We appreciate that the governor continues to prioritize higher education. The Kent State community is committed to student success and helping our students graduate.”

Contact Leighann McGivern at [email protected].