Kent State conducts survey about smoking ban

Carrie Blazina

Kent State might give you a $25 gift card if you tell them what you think of the university’s eight campuses possibly going tobacco-free.

The university sent a survey through FlashLine Friday to all students, faculty and staff to get a wide range of responses to the idea of a campus-wide ban on tobacco products and smoking. This summer, the Ohio Board of Regents recommended the ban for Ohio’s public universities and community colleges because of health concerns.

Emily Vincent, director of university media relations, said in response to the state recommendation, the university formed a 20-person committee of students, faculty and staff that meets every two weeks to look into what the campus community thinks about the potential ban.

Vincent said the committee is willing to consider a wide range of responses; it is not all-or-nothing in terms of a full ban.

“I think the committee is open to recommendations, thoughts, ideas — everything from the way things are to changing it to a complete ban and anywhere in between,” Vincent said.

According to the university’s administrative policy on smoking, smoking is currently prohibited in any university building, vehicle or residence hall. Outside, smoking must take place 20 feet away from the entrance to any building on campus.

The survey, available through Nov. 30, takes less than five minutes and asks respondents for demographic information about their age, primary role at the university and primary campus location. Next, it asks for the person’s current tobacco use, how bothered the person is by tobacco use, if the person believes Kent State’s campuses should be tobacco-free and for any comments.

If the respondent then provides an email address, he or she is entered to win a $25 gift card to their choice of either Starbucks or the Kent State University Bookstore. Eight winners will be chosen.

Contact Carrie Blazina at [email protected].