Visual sociologist displays giclee exhibit at East Liverpool campus

Rachel Sluss

Kent State’s East Liverpool Campus is hosting an array of colorful and emotional art based on giclee, a photograph-altering method, in the Quiet Study Lounge in the Main Classroom building until Wednesday.

Visual sociologist Jack Vazzana’s gallery reflects his admiration of the use of color and iconic images. Vazzana takes photographs and alters them using two different Photoshop programs. He uses giclee to edit his photos. This method takes a photograph and reduces it through an ink jet printer. Aspects of the photo become modified.

“Anyone can take a good picture today with the equipment that is out,” Vazzana said. “I change it so it forces people to use their imaginations and creativity. The beauty of giclee is to change everything around it to make subjects stand out.”

Many of Vazzana’s altered photos emphasize iconic imagery of women and specifically women’s oppression from the 20th and 21st century. He said the pieces in the art exhibit are meant to make people think about themselves and the world around them and can be interpreted in a number of ways.

“If a student asks, ‘what’s this about?’ I tell them to just think about it,” Vazzana said. “And if someone looks at my work and walks away, I’m not communicating with that person. They have to say something.”

One of Vazzana’s favorite pieces is “Get Out of Me.” This image shows a girl on her knees with a brick wall in the background. Her hair hides her face completely, and her hands are folded in her lap. The photo was altered with dark colors such as brown, blue, black and purple. “Get Out of Me” appears gloomy and disturbed, but there is no obvious connection between the title and the image to know exactly what the photo is about.

This is Vazzana’s fourth exhibition and second exhibition at the East Liverpool Campus. Prior to East Liverpool, his work was on display at a regional competition in Louisville, Ky. Vazzana is always working on new photos.

“You don’t see entire shows devoted to giclee,” Vazzana said. “I wanted to take photography one step further in terms of an art form.”

Contact Rachel Sluss at [email protected].