Help Desk and Tech Spot offer computer repairs, assistance

Michael Jermann

If you’re a college student, there is no avoiding modern technology.

For some, using a computer or tablet for anything but writing a paper or surfing the Internet can be difficult. Fortunately, there is help on campus to make things simpler.

Students whose computers aren’t working right can stop by the Help Desk, located on the first floor of the University Library.

“We try to give support the best we can,” said Dolly Lowe, a customer support specialist for the Help Desk. “We don’t say no, but we basically will try to point you in the right direction.”

Lowe said the Help Desk offers students a variety of services, such as login help, password resets and VPN software installations for those students who would like to access library research databases when off campus.

The Help Desk also helps students who are using the work stations available in the library. Students who need to use a program that is unavailable in the library can ask the Help Desk where to find it, Lowe said.

So you’ve set up your computer to meet all your personal needs, and you finally feel ready to face your next four years of college.

While the Help Desk specializes in software, the Tech Spot can help with hardware problems. Located in the Tri-Towers Rotunda, the Tech Spot is available to resolve any hardware issues students may encounter.

The Tech Spot offers services such as virus and spyware removal and hardware installation and repair.

Mike Carson, a senior IT user support analyst for the Tech Spot, said virus removal used to be the most common service provided, but in the past year, harddrive malfunctions and issues with operating systems have become the most common problems.

Carson said the cost of services provided are not charged through a student account but are paid for with FlashCash or a credit card.

“Anything fixing-wise is $45,” Carson said. “If it’s a complete operating system reinstall, it’s $65. That includes backing up all the student’s data and reinstalling [Microsoft] Office.”

A complete list of services provided by the Tech Spot and the Help Desk can be found in the Technology Viewbook, which can be found at the Help Desk, the Tech Spot or on Kent State’s website.

Contact Michael Jermann at [email protected].