Staying fit in college during the pandemic and winter months

Megan Medfisch Health and Fitness reporter

With winter approaching and an expected increase in COVID-19 cases, students can stay healthy from home through campus virtual services and online applications.

While health precautions are taken in gyms, there are still aspects of working out in public areas that raise the possibility of catching COVID-19.

“Working out in gyms makes me more nervous with this pandemic,” said Savannah Berk, junior business management major. “In my experience, people don’t always properly sanitize the machine after they’re done using it.”

Exercise, however, is very important for the immune system. To help students find other ways to stay fit if quarantined or avoiding gyms, the Beverly J. Warren Student Recreation and Wellness Center offers several virtual services.

Group X, a membership service providing various workout classes, offers over 20 virtual classes through Zoom per week, said Fitness and Wellness Coordinator Beth Michel. 

Students can either buy a Group X membership or pay $7 per class. The class schedule is posted on the website, and includes workouts such as yoga, Pilates, Zumba, total body conditioning and more. 

“We may be allowed to add more in-person classes, with a mask requirement, soon,” Michel said. “We are working on which classes will be included.”

Student organizations can also have specific workout classes for their group scheduled and held virtually. 

For students who want personalized assistance, personal training is offered in person or virtually, depending on preference. Virtual sessions can be held either on Zoom or Microsoft Teams, and session fees are included on the website.

“The trainer will work with you on whatever equipment you have available in your space,” Michel said. “We also have trainers design programs for you to do on your own, if you do not want to actually meet with them every week.”

Another personalized service is nutrition counseling. Students can meet with a registered dietician to discuss diet plans.

Sessions can be held in person or virtually, depending on the comfort level of the student. Session fees and registration details are listed on the website.

Other than services offered at the Rec, students can download apps such as Nike Run Club, or look on YouTube for various workout videos to follow along to.

Nike Run Club helps you track your runs while making goals for yourself. 

“I like using it because it has narration of a coach speaking to you while you run, so it keeps you motivated,” Berk said. 

This week a virtual Bowman Cup 5k Race will be held in celebration of homecoming week. Students and faculty can run or walk a 5k wherever they wish from Oct. 4-11 and submit results online. Participants will receive a Bowman Cup 5k shirt.

“You can run the typical Bowman Cup course, which will be marked on campus, or run wherever you are currently living, whether it’s in-state or out-of-state,” said Marketing Coordinator Jim Kraus.

Megan Medfisch covers health and fitness. Contact her at [email protected].

SUPPORT STUDENT MEDIA 

Hi, I’m Lauren Sasala, a senior journalism student from Toledo. I’m also the editor in chief of The Kent Stater and KentWired this semester. My staff and I are committed to bringing you the most important news about Kent State and the Kent community. We are full-time students and hard-working journalists. While we get support from the student media fee and earned revenue such as advertising, both of those continue to decline. Your generous gift of any amount will help enhance our student experience as we grow into working professionals. Please go here to donate.