Stark campus hosts Scholastic Art and Writing Awards

Walter Doerschuk

Kent State Stark is giving local middle and high school artists the chance to have their artwork on display to the public in this year’s 58th annual Northeast Central Ohio Scholastic Art Awards and Exhibit.

The campus is hosting the event from Jan. 17 through Feb. 2. The regional competition is part of the Scholastic Art and Writing Awards.

“It’s an honor to have it here on campus,” said Cynthia Williams, a public relations coordinator at Kent State Stark who helps promote the event. “It’s another way we reach out to the community.”

For more than two weeks, artists from six Northeast Ohio counties will have their creations displayed in the Fine Arts Building and Campus Center. A diversity of styles has been solicited from students in Stark, Summit, Portage, Wayne, Tuscarawas and Medina counties.

The galleries are free and open to the public. The Fine Arts Building and the Campus Center will be open from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. Mondays through Thursdays, and 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Fridays.

Williams said she sends out emails encouraging students and faculty to peruse the galleries. Student reception to the artwork has generally been positive in past years.

“It’s so well done, they think it’s from their peers when it’s actually from middle and high school students,” Williams said.

The awards ceremony will be conducted Saturday, Jan. 28 at the University Center on the Stark campus.

Several awards will be presented at the ceremony and several of the award winners will be forwarded to the national competition. The Gold Key Award, which is the highest award possible at the regional competition, is one that qualifies a participant for the national competition. American Vision Award winners as well as Portfolio finalists will also be forwarded to the national level.

Overall, Williams said the county is full of art culture and the annual event at the Stark Campus plays into it.

“We’re letting people know Stark County is a premiere place to come enjoy art of all types and from all ages,” she said.

Contact Walter Doerschuk at [email protected].