Medina junior QB drawing attention throughout the midwest

Sean Blevins Sports reporter

Despite only playing at quarterback since his freshman year of high school, Drew Allar picked up the position quickly and has drawn the attention of many Division I programs in the Midwest. 

The son of a former Eastern Michigan University tight end, Allar always knew he wanted to play quarterback, but he played linebacker and wide receiver until his freshman year.

He noted that it took some time to adjust to the speed of the game and he had to learn to take what was open when he switched positions.

The 6-foot-5-inch junior from Medina High School describes himself as a “pocket passer with the ability to improvise on the run and make every throw on the field.” 

Allar finished his sophomore campaign with 1,800 passing yards and just under 300 rushing yards, along with 26 touchdowns. The 16-year-old’s strong arm impressed scouts at the end of last season and he quickly heard from schools as soon as they were allowed to contact him. 

His first offer came from Central Michigan University on Jan. 21. The University of Akron and University of Pittsburgh followed suit a few weeks later. The University of Toledo offered in April and Bowling Green State University offered on Sept. 23. Many other schools have stayed in touch. 

Allar’s junior season has already seen many ups and downs, but he says he has improved in every facet. 

In his first game of the year, he rolled his ankle warming up before the second half against Mentor High School, which was ranked first in the state at the time, a game in which he was 17-for-26 with 127 passing yards and three touchdowns. 

He threw for a career-high 414 yards in a 34-7 win against Strongsville on Sept. 11. He completed 19 out of 33 passes for 305 yards and four touchdowns in less than two quarters against Elyria High School in a 61-6 victory on Sept. 18. 

“I need to work on my ball placement; I need to work on throwing receivers more open, even if they are covered,” said Allar. 

He watches his previous game’s film on Saturdays with the coaches to dissect what he did wrong and that has allowed him to progress as a passer. He gives credit to the coaches that have helped develop him into a leader. 

“I think we are a lot more prepared for the playoffs this year, especially since we had the experience of being there last year,” said Allar. 

Medina was bounced from the playoffs by perennial state powerhouse St. Edward High School last year, but will have the chance to avenge that loss if they both win their first playoff game this season. 

Allar will attend the Elite 11, a national quarterback competition, and also plans on competing in the Rivals Camp Series, one of the nation’s top recruiting circuits. 

He said he stays in regular contact with almost every Mid-American Conference school as well as The Ohio State University, the University of Michigan, the University of Notre Dame, the University of Cincinnati, the University of Pittsburgh, the University of Louisville and Princeton University. He expects more offers to come. 

Allar has led Medina to its second straight and fifth all-time playoff appearance, as they will host Strongsville on Oct. 9, whom they beat earlier this year. 

He is listed as a three-star, pro-style quarterback and is ranked as the 15th best prospect in the state of Ohio for 2022 and No. 447 nationally on 247sports.com. He is the son of former tight end at Eastern Michigan Kevin Allar. 

His stock is rising and with another full season to play he plans to take the recruiting process slowly. 

Right now, he said he is focused on the task ahead of him: leading his team in the playoffs.

Sean Blevins is a sports reporter. Contact him at [email protected].

SUPPORT STUDENT MEDIA 

Hi, I’m Lauren Sasala, a senior journalism student from Toledo. I’m also the editor in chief of The Kent Stater and KentWired this semester. My staff and I are committed to bringing you the most important news about Kent State and the Kent community. We are full-time students and hard-working journalists. While we get support from the student media fee and earned revenue such as advertising, both of those continue to decline. Your generous gift of any amount will help enhance our student experience as we grow into working professionals. Please go here to donate.