Rough transition to wireless Internet on-campus

Doug Rogers

KentWired Video

var so = new SWFObject(‘’,’mpl’,’665′,’450′,’9′);





Kent State’s migration to wireless Internet left many disconnected at the beginning of the semester.

Many students using the network earlier this semester found it difficult to maintain a stable connection. That’s because the university abandoned the wired Internet system in the dorms for wireless technology over the summer.

Most issues have been resolved, said Jason Wearley, executive director of network, telecommunications and division architect for Information Services.

Information Services continues to improve the network.

An on-going project includes replacing the wireless access points, as well as network switches. The timeline includes an anticipated completion date of July 2012.

Over the summer, the university increased its Internet connection to one gigabit, raising it by at least double.

Internet speeds fluctuate throughout the day. Classrooms and offices have access to 60% of the bandwidth throughout the day. The dorms use the remaining 40%.

However, at night, the bandwidth priority changes. The dorms get 60% of the connection while classrooms and offices, most of which are unused, take the other 40%.

Connections may be slower, but usable, during peak times. 2 until 6 p.m. and 8 p.m. until midnight experience heavy usage.

As of last spring, all the academic buildings offered wireless coverage.

Students who still experience connection issues can request a wired connection for their dorm rooms.

Information Services asks anyone with continuous problems to call the help desk or submit a trouble ticket.

Student technicians found in each dorm building also offer wireless troubleshooting.

Contact Doug Rogers at [email protected].