Students awarded for excellence at 33rd Annual Leadership and Honors Awards Ceremony

Dr. Sheryl Smith, Dean of Students and Student Obmbuds, in center, introduces the new student organizaion leaders for the 2011-12 year. This was one of the many honors at the Student Leadership and Honors Awards Ceremony at the Ballroom on Monday. Photo by Lindsay Frumker.

Megan Wilkinson

It was Mayagul Satlykgylyjova’s goal to improve respect of different religions at Kent State. Satlykgylyjova said she started Harmony Between Believers and Nonbelievers around the 2010 school year to encourage individuals in the College of Education, Health and Human Services to better understand the viewpoints of different religions.

“I thought that if others understood and learned about different religions, it could help them understand all the cultural differences here at Kent State,” said Satlykgylyjova, who is pursuing a master’s degree in cultural foundations.

She is a recipient of the Student Leader of the Year Award, and is one of more than 200 students and faculty recognized at the 2011 Leadership and Honors Awards Ceremony.

“This ceremony is a way for us to recognize some students, student organizations and advisers who do great things but don’t always get recognized,” said Brenda McKenzie, associate director of the Center for Student Involvement and a member of the ceremony selection committee.

McKenzie said the theme for this year’s event was the Five Rings of Leadership, which symbolized service, change, excellence, honor and dedication.

“We wanted to incorporate diversity as well as prestige for our theme,” said Krissi Corella, senior biology major and member of the planning committee for the event. “The Olympic theme is something new for this year’s ceremony,” Corella said.

In addition to recognizing student leaders, the ceremony honored students who served in Undergraduate Student Government for the 2010-2011 academic year and inaugurated the incoming members of USG.

Justin Pierce, senior finance major and current executive director of USG, said he hopes the new members will work strong as a team.

“My experience on USG equipped me with many new skills,” Pierce said. “I met new people from different areas of the university. I think both Kevin Papp and the new USG members will do a phenomenal job in office.”

Kevin Papp, junior international relations major and Fall 2011 executive director of USG, spoke during the inauguration portion of the ceremony about his future goals for the student body. Papp said his speech focused on the legacy that all students leave at Kent State — He said he wants to encourage all students to leave some kind of legacy.

Many students were honored for their achievements at Monday night’s ceremony. Senior educational studies program major Alexander Mott won the Nancy and John Scott Leadership Award, which honors students who positively impacted the greater Kent community.

Alascia Jones, senior business management major and a recipient of the Student Leader of the Year Award, said she was nervous and surprised she won the award.

“Being a leader means you’re willing to sacrifice for the good of the bigger picture,” Jones said. “You need to remember you can’t do anything without the people who helped you to get where you are as a leader.”

Contact Megan Wilkinson at [email protected].