Alumni featured in Downtown Gallery’s “Moving On” exhibit

Kasey Fahey

The “Moving On” exhibit features current paintings made by alumni at the Kent State University School of Art’s Downtown Gallery.

Anderson Turner, director of Galleries, said the theme of the exhibition was “artists that have continued to make work.”

Martin Ball, associate professor and exhibit curator, said the show was all about progress, specifically the progress of the artists whose work is featured in it.

“More studio majors tend to continue after their undergrad work,” Ball said. “They had to be out of school at least a year and start moving in a new direction.”

The criteria for the artists were they were accessible and graduated within the last 10 years. Most of the featured alumni are teaching around the region; three are adjunct professors at Kent State.

The exhibition features work from Anthony Bartholomew, Tim Callaghan, Chad Hansen, Neil Macdonald, Lorri Ott, Erica Raby, Todd Schroeder, Sarah Sutton, Corrie Slawson and Ibojka Radawec.

One of the artists is Lorri Ott, a 2004 graduate with a master’s of fine arts in painting and a Kent State adjunct professor of painting and drawing.

“My work is mixed media,” Ott said. “Pigment, plastic, plastic bag, oil paint, paint rag, cardboard. I am and have been interested in creating my own way of making art.”

Ott currently has work on display at the Museum of Contemporary Art, Cleveland. Ott said Megan Lykins Reich, the curator of her solo exhibition at MOCA, has said that her “works are feelings projected.”

Ball was Ott’s thesis adviser while she was a graduate student, and he has followed her career and work since graduation.

“Professor Ball invited me to participate in the exhibition,” Ott said. “I was very happy to participate.”

The “Moving On” exhibition will run until Feb. 19. Pieces of art range from $160 to $2,500. The Downtown Gallery is located at 141 E. Main St. The gallery’s hours are Wednesday through Friday noon to 5 p.m. and Saturday 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Contact Kasey Fahey at [email protected].