RPA_08_Anuta_WinterBusiness

Heather Anuta

ANCHOR INTRO:

Downtown revitalization has helped boost business for local stores.

But what will happen when a major part of Kent’s population leaves for a few months?

Heather Anuta has the story.

TAKE SCRIPT:

As students prepare to head home for the holidays, stores in downtown Kent are preparing for residents to shop for the holidays.

Even when business is slow from bad weather and with students gone from Kent, some businesses don’t predict a drop in sales.

Sales Associate Elizabeth Coffey says she doesn’t expect any changes at The Works because the store gets a lot of business from Kent residents.

SOT: (Coffey)

COLLEGE STUDENTS TEND TO JUST COME IN, WALK AROUND. IF THEY DO COME IN THEY ARE USUALLY JUST BUYING UGGS OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT BUT IT’S NOT TOO MUCH OF A COLLEGE STORE.

So what about a store like Off The Wagon that caters to college students?

Kyle Buckley works at the store and says that they are still able to offer something for everyone.

SOT: (Buckley)

WE’RE HOPING THAT WHAT HAPPENS IS THAT PEOPLE COME IN AND BASICALLY BUY GIFTS TO TAKE HOME TO THEIR FAMILY.

The Works and Off The Wagon are popular stores to shop for gifts.

So even when the weather is bad they still see a regular flow of customers during December.

SOT: (Coffey)

THIS IS A VERY IMPORTANT TIME FOR THIS BUSINESS. WE DO SELL MOST OF OUR BUSINESS DURING THE CHRISTMAS TIME. IT COMES FROM OUR ORNAMENTS AND GIFT GIVING, BUT CHRISTMAS IS DEFINITELY A VERY IMPORTANT TIME FOR THIS COMPANY.

For TV2, I’m Heather Anuta.

ANCHOR TAG:

Off the Wagon expanded their store this year and Buckley says business has already seen a big improvement.