Our View: Did we just pay $15,000 for a go-cart?

Editors

President Lester Lefton is finding new, creative ways to spend our tuition dollars, and this one really has us scratching our heads. Spending $15,000 on anything these days, especially when students still have to foot the bill for the Risman Plaza renovations, is questionable.

But spending $15,000 on an electric car — nearly the cost of a 2010 Toyota Corolla — is unacceptable. We actually thought it was a joke at first. But it’s not.

The administration actually spent thousands of dollars (our dollars) on an over-priced scooter.

We can see why this glorified toy is appealing. The Global Electric Motorcar is enclosed, holds four people and will protect passengers from the winter elements, according to the president’s office. The GEM will primarily be used to transport administration members to on-campus meetings.

That’s great, but every member of the administration has a car and can park wherever he or she chooses on campus. This campus is not that large. Lefton and crew could also consider walking to their meetings like everyone else on campus does.

This seems like one more way for the administration to avoid having to interact with students.

We were upset when we found out we would be paying for the new clock tower. This adds salt to our wounded wallets. The administration is obviously out of touch with its students.

While most of us are scrambling to pay for next semester and trying not to bounce this month’s rent check, they were out buying an outrageously expensive golf cart.

The above editorial is the consensus opinion of the Daily Kent Stater editorial board.