RPA_04_Vietmeier_Wage

Bethany Vietmeier

Anchor Introduction:

Starting January 1, 2010, employees in Ohio making minimum wage will notice a slight increase in their paychecks. That is because the state Department of Commerce announced that the states minimum wage would increase by ten cents. But here at Kent State, all of the student employees will get a bit of a bonus. TV-2 reporter Bethany Vietmeier found out what the K-S-U student employees will receive.

[Take Package]

[Length 1:46]

[CG: Bethany Vietmeier/RPA reporter][0:35]

[CG: Ami Hollis /Kent Career Services Assistant Director][0:35]

[CG: Sarah Antes/Student Employee][1:19]

[CG: Kenneth Dabney/ Student Employee][1:30]

NAT SOUND: Cashier

Currently at Kent State University there are 1,213 student employees on campus according to Career Services Assistant Director Ami Hollis.

And they are all making between seven dollars and 30 cents and 13 dollars and 40 cents and hour.

But as the calendar year changes from 2010 to 2011, those wages will change.

STANDUP:

NOW GOOD NEWS FOR ALL OF THE KENT STATE STUDENT EMPLOYEES, THEIR WAGES WILL INCREASE BY TEN CENTS STARTING IN 2011…REGARDLESS IF THEY ARE MAKING MINIMUM WAGE OR A LITTLE BIT MORE.

SOT: Ami Hollis

WE HAVE THREE PAY LEVELS, AND ENTRY, AND INTERMEDIATE AND A HIGHLY SPECIALIZED LEVEL. DEPENDING ON THE JOB RESPONSIBILITIES, A STUDENT COULD FALL UNDER ONE OF THOSE THREE. WITH THE ANNOUNCEMENT OF THE MINIMUM WAGE INCREASING BY TEN CENTS, THAT AFFECTS ALL PAY LEVELS. EACH PAY LEVEL WILL INCREASE 10 CENTS.

Although a ten-cent increase may not seem like a lot, for students, every little bit can help.

For example, Senior Sarah Antes and Junior Kenneth Dabney both are student employees working over 20 hours per week while taking between 12 and 15 credit hours a semester.

They both say the pay increase is a good thing and it will help them.

SOT: Sarah Antes’

I ACTUALLY DIDN’T KNOW I WAS GETTING A TEN CENT RAISE, SO I THINK IT’S AWESOME BECAUSE YOU KNOW I AM A STUDENT AND I HAVE BILLS AND I HAVE TO PAY MY PILLS. SO I THINK ITS GREAT THAT IM GETTING A 10 CENT RAISE.

SOT: Kenneth Dabney

I THINK ITS GOOD; EVERYBODY NEEDS MORE MONEY BECAUSE STUDENTS ARE WORKING. I GUESS IT WILL GIVE THEM MORE MOTIVATION…I MEAN EVEN THOUGH IT’S TEN CENTS, IT ADDS UP…JUST LIKE A PENNY DOES…SO IT’S GOOD.

For TV-2 news, I’m Bethany Vietmeier.

Anchor Tag:

The last minimum wage increase at Kent State and in Ohio was in 2008 when it rose by 30 cents. The wage increase is based on the rate of inflation.

https://ksutube.kent.edu/playback.php?playthis=1v9nz8n9l3b

Critique:

I liked the b-roll in this package because there was a lot of action in it and it was easy to write to. However, I wish I would have had better natural sounds from the b-roll that I could have used through out my package. As for the interviews, I loved the student interviews. I thought they added to my package. Overall, I thought this package went very well, and I liked taking a state wide issues and localizing it.