THE TOP 5 STORIES OF THE WEEK

DKS Editors

1. Kent State graduate student hospitalized after Sat. assault

A Kent State graduate student and Iraq War veteran was hospitalized after an assault early Saturday morning in downtown Kent.

John T. White, 28, of Delaware, remained in critical condition at Akron City Hospital as of Wednesday, according to friends and family members. He suffered head injuries and brain swelling after the assault, which took place at about 2:30 a.m. Saturday near the intersection of Main and Water streets.

In connection with the assault, the Akron Police Department arrested John H. Ragin Jr., 21, of Akron, on Tuesday evening. The Kent Police Department is charging Ragin with felonious assault.

The assault on White was the second in Kent since November. Christopher M. Kernich, 23, died Nov. 21 from injuries he suffered in an off-campus assault Nov. 15.

2. Flashes continue hot streak, beat Akron and Toledo

The Kent State men’s basketball team continued its recent dominant play by thumping Akron 87-70 on Saturday and Toledo 69-49 on Tuesday.

Sophomore Justin Greene scored 23 points and pulled down 13 rebounds in the win over Akron, the Flashes’ biggest rival. The game was witnessed by 6,204 fans in a sold-out M.A.C. Center.

Tuesday, the Flashes went on a 20-0 run spanning halftime to take complete control in their game at Toledo. Greene and senior Tyree Evans each scored 14 points to lead the team to victory.

Kent State will host Western Michigan at 2 p.m. tomorrow at the M.A.C. Center.

3. String of Honda Civic thefts continues in Kent

A Honda Civic was stolen from the C-Science parking lot last week — the sixth such theft in Kent since November.

Since Nov. 1, four Civics have been stolen on campus, and two have been stolen off-campus. An attempted theft of an Acura Integra also occurred off-campus.

All of the thefts involved Civics from the model years 1998-2000.

Lt. Christopher Jenkins from the Kent State Police Department said the same type of thefts have occurred throughout Northeast Ohio.

4. Strickland focuses address on creating jobs in energy

Gov. Ted Strickland spent most of his fourth State of the State speech Tuesday afternoon talking about creating jobs for Ohioans in the field of renewable energy.

Speaking from the Ohio Senate chamber in Columbus, Strickland said the state ranks No. 1 in new green jobs created and in renewable energy manufacturing projects.

On the topic of higher education, Strickland said the state is nearing an agreement for its university system to research for Procter & Gamble. If the deal is completed, students and faculty would work to research and develop products for Procter & Gamble.

5. USG tabs Jay Sean for Feb. performance at M.A.C. Center

The Undergraduate Student Government is bringing in musical artist Jay Sean for a concert in February.

Jay Sean, whose songs include “Down” and “Do You Remember,” will perform Feb. 25 at the M.A.C. Center. Tickets went on sale yesterday; they cost $10 for students and $20 for non-students.

“Jay Sean is one of the bigger artists and is exploding on the music scene right now,” USG programming director Mike Szabo said.

Jay Sean is the first musician USG has brought in this school year. Kent State alumnus DJ $crilla will also perform at the concert.