Women’s Chorus hosts high school singers

Lisa Davala

Concert to feature classical, jazz, sacred and secular music

Sophomore Joanne Chang plays the accompanying music for the KSU Women’s Chorus in preparation for a performance this coming Friday in Cartwright Hall. Daniel Maxwell | Daily Kent Stater

The Kent State University Women’s Chorus Fall Concert tonight is just one of the stops the women’s chorus has on its way to the Ohio Music Education Association’s Conference in late January.

The chorus is hosting the concert with a guest ensemble, the Kent Roosevelt High School Chorus. The women’s chorus will sing 10 pieces. It will be followed by interpretations by the Kent Roosevelt chorus. The show will conclude with a performance by both choruses.

“The concert is a nice opportunity to work with a high school group and build bridges into public schools,” said Kerry Glann, Kent State Women’s Chorus director. “A couple of our members are alumnae of Kent Roosevelt, so it is a neat experience for them.”

Glann said the concert will include a variety of pieces, from jazz to classical and secular to sacred. The concert includes pieces that give a look into the compilation the chorus will perform in January.

The concert is not only a way to perform for the public but also to practice for their upcoming conference. Glann said the chorus is preparing this semester by seeing what works and adding here and there.

“It is a honor to be selected for the OMEA conference,” Glann said. “There are other groups that try out to perform at the conference, but it is a competitive audition, and this is the first time we have been invited.”

Throughout the year, the chorus is invited to travel to different locations to perform at places such as high schools and churches.

“The chorus raises the funds needed to operate and travel,” said Stephanie Sanker, junior choral music education major said. “The proceeds of our concert help to pay for our expenses, and it will be expensive to go to the OMEA conference because it is in Cincinnati.”

Glann and Sanker said the chorus works on its own fundraising for events. Through patron donations, ad sales and concerts, the chorus is able to pay travel and venues costs.

The concert will start at 7:30 p.m. in Cartwright Hall. Admission will be $8 for adults, $5 for seniors and non-Kent State students and free for Kent State students with valid ID.

Contact Alumni Affairs reporter Lisa Davala at [email protected].