Follow the volunteer leaders

DKS Editors

Do you feel like you need to give back to your community? Do you have the urge to help other people but don’t know how? Why not volunteer to do the community some service?

There are many reasons to get out and help improve the lives of others.

First off, it can bring a sense of accomplishment. Helping other people makes you feel good. Think about it this way: If you were an individual or business that needed help with a project that you could not do on your own, you would want help, right? You could be that person.

There’s no reason to complain about being bored on the weekends or say you have nothing to do. If you are so bored, then you should go out and get involved with one of the many university’s service clubs.

Plus, involvement in a community service organization is a great addition to your resume. To potential employers, this reflects highly on your character.

And, it’s just a great way to meet people. There are other students from different age groups, majors and backgrounds.

There are many organizations on campus involved with helping the Kent community. Kent State students contributed $600,000 to the community through more than 32,000 hours of service last academic year.

Students are getting more and more involved every year, with a 42.8 percent increase in hours of community service since last year.

Imagine how much better the Kent community would be if every Kent State student got involved with a service group on campus. Imagine all 30,000 plus students lending a helping hand to society. Sounds great, doesn’t it?

As the winter months approach, many people in the world need aid to survive. Get out and help. Search the Internet for local opportunities, look around campus or ask an adviser or professor on how you can get involved.

To all you students who want to make a difference, stop waiting around. Get up and find a way to be involved. You and those you help will be better for it.

The above editorial is the consensus opinion of the Daily Kent Stater editorial board.