Stop the smut on campus!

Jennifer Healey

As a Kent State University student-generated newspaper, the Daily Kent Stater has come to be known nationwide as the KSU newspaper, despite claims that they are not directly associated. You, as college students, are a direct reflection of Kent State University.

The university’s theme statement is “Excellence in Action.” I question the Stater’s support of this expression based on their decision to republish an article entitled “Why lose your virginity . Because it’s awesome” in last week’s paper. Out of all the intelligent and informative articles out there that KSU students could be reading and learning from . they chose this?

This article is not only degrading in nature, but it is also suggestive by encouraging sex with multiple partners. I believe in some people’s opinion, including my own, this article could be interpreted as discriminative towards virgins. Furthermore, I believe this article to be a health hazard that encourages unsafe health practices. Moreover, I feel that the Stater is promoting these standpoints by their approval of its publication.

Freedom of speech does have its limits. We all know that there are vague lines that are not to be crossed, words that are not allowed to be printed in the press. Yet there are those haughty writers who find ways to “tip-toe” through with their written work in an attempt to get their underlying

message across.

The above-stated article provides an example of such controversial implications and seems to be targeted toward those who have made the choice to remain virgins until marriage – those who have personal reasons for waiting and to share something they feel is important to them.

As a KSU student myself, I feel it is important to take pride in the college we attend. I also serve as a Resident Assistant in the halls and feel that I have a duty to encourage residents to make the right decisions while living on campus. I do so by providing them with informative bulletin boards and programs, many of which are related to promoting good

health practices.

I understand the need for sexually-related literature and for condoms to be made available on campus and feel their location in the health center is highly appropriate. However, I would prefer that society associates Kent State University itself and its students with thoughts of decency and intelligence.

I have been aware of things gradually escalating out of control over my semesters at KSU from “Sextoberfest” to the gift-wrapped condoms offered on campus for Valentine’s Day in every size, shape and color. “Sextoberfest” sends the wrong message to young adult minds. The festival is nothing but sensationalism and a promotion of the sex industry. I think it is a complete waste of the educational funds that are needed all over campus, especially during this economic turndown. Promotions of this type do not belong on a

college campus!

In all aspects of obscenity and smut on campus, I hope students will begin to take a stand on sending out the right messages and promoting healthy choices with a degree of decency. With all due respect to you, our generation and Kent State University, I believe that above all else our reputation is worth it. For those who desire to take action on “campus cleanup,” no time is better than the present.

Jennifer Healey is a junior business

management and marketing major and

guest columnist for the Daily Kent Stater.