Dining Services avoids laying off student workers

Kristyn Lebovitz

Rosie’s Diner hired more students to help with new late-night delivery service

With a down economy, Dining Services will have to “tighten their belts” and cut back, Assistant Director John Goehler said.

Fortunately, Dining Services has not had any major layoffs.

“Most of our people are already the lowest paid on campus,” Goehler said. “I don’t know where else we could cut.”

Dining Services employs about 700 students and tries to use them as effectively as possible. Goehler said Dining Services tries to hire students because they need the money to pay for school.

“We try to be proactive all the time and save money,” Goehler said.

John Lewis Jr., freshman industrial teaching major, has worked for Eastway Café for two semesters. His responsibilities are to clean pots and pans and make pancakes every other weekend.

When asked if the economy has affected him, he said, “My hours have not been cut back, and nothing else has really changed.”

Lewis said the price of food has also stayed the same. He said he likes his job at Eastway Café.

Dining Services has actually hired a few more people at Rosie’s for its new late-night delivery service. Students can order food and beverages from 8 p.m. to 3 a.m., seven days a week.

Goehler said Dining Services decided to have the delivery service at Rosie’s because they have large ovens to make pizza. And it’s the most convenient option because it is open 24 hours a day.

The biggest challenge for Rosie’s is how long it takes to deliver the food. Goehler said there is usually a 45-minute to one-hour wait. Some students deliver by foot rather than a motor vehicle to save time.

“It’s going through growing pains,” Goehler said. “But, it’s going pretty good, and people are satisfied.”

Rosie’s is currently looking to expand the menu and give students more choices. Students can use their dining plan, cash and FlashCash.

Even with a down economy, Goehler stays optimistic and tries to see the positive side of the situation.

Contact room and board reporter Kristyn Lebovitz at [email protected].