Teenage piano prodigy seems older than his years

Sara Petersen

Young pianist inspires crowd at Kent State during performance

While teen-pop sensation Miley Cyrus takes the world by storm, one teenager – Jonathan Floril – doesn’t even recognize the Disney star’s name

Floril, 19, the winner of the 59th Kosciuszko Foundation Chopin Piano Competition, seems more cultured than his youthful age would imply, as he demonstrated Saturday during his performance in the Music and Speech Center.

Mary Kay Pieski, president of the Northeast Ohio Kosciuszko Foundation, spent all day Saturday with Floril.

“I was very impressed with him as a very mature young man,” Pieski said.

Floril was born in Quito, Ecuador, and at age 11 decided he must learn to play piano. After two months of lessons, his teacher told him he would be held back if he stayed in Ecuador. Floril’s father then quit his job and took Floril to Spain to gain further instruction.

Three years ago, Floril moved to the United States and is currently a junior at the Manhattan School of Music and is working on a Bachelor of Music degree. He is studying under Marc Silverman, who was a student of Abram Chasins, who was a student of Josef Hofmann.

“I’m very, very thankful for this opportunity because I fought for what I have.” Floril said. “I just feel so very privileged to be in New York City with a full scholarship with the greatest teachers I could have.”

As a musician, Floril is somewhat familiar of more alternative types of music, but he only listens to classical music and occasionally jazz.

“I always try to avoid something that is not sophisticated,” he said. “I give my life to this music, why would I share others?”

Floril’s favorite composer is Ludwig Van Beethoven, and he performed his favorite piece, “Sonata in D Major,” Saturday night.

“Beethoven is a very revolutionary character. He fought for truth,” Floril said. “When I hear Beethoven’s music, I hear him talking to me. His music is my world.”

When it comes to more recognizable artists, Floril realizes that the industry is against current performers of classic compositions.

“Marketing makes the artist now – and all of that is destroying the honor … and is destroying the sophistication of music, and that is something that I suffer,” he said. “It is destroying the culture and the passion.”

Floril uses words such as honesty, truth and sophistication to describe the music that drives his passion.

“Sophistication to me means high minded, means something that one wants to reach something divine, something transcendental,” he said.

He also sees music as something higher than notes on a page or sounds from an instrument.

“I think a musician is a pilgrim – learning for the past, learning from nature. The artist that succeeds in that path, transcends,” Floril said.

As a student in high school, fitting in with his classmates was never an issue for Floril. He remained quiet and distant about his talents.

“I never show myself to people who cannot understand me,” he said.

Before Floril decided to begin playing the piano, he was introduced to existentialism by a family member.

“Strangely enough, I was crazy about Greek tragedy,” he said. “I would actually study philosophy if I wasn’t studying piano.”

Floril has only been studying piano for eight years. Many pianists his age, and older, have been studying piano for much longer than Floril and have not been as successful.

“I don’t know where this path will bring me,” he said. “I wonder where I’ll be in the next eight years.”

Contact performing arts reporter Sara Petersen at [email protected].