Vacant motel demolished

Kelsey Henninger

Owner hopes to break grond behind Jimmy John’s this year

Bricks, rubble and cement lay on the ground as Campus View Apartments was demolished yesterday. Rachel Kilroy | Daily Kent Stater

The motel behind Jimmy John’s is being demolished to create space for potential businesses.

“We are working with the city of Kent to decide what is the best use for the land and what will work favorably with the reconstruction of downtown,” said Tim Zigga, president of ASW Properties, which owns the property and is in charge of the site’s demolition.

The Campus View apartment complex, which Sigma Nu fraternity members used for temporary housing during the fall semester, and smaller garage-type buildings, will also be torn down.

“The motel definitely needed to be demolished,” Matt Fabinak, president of Sigma Nu fraternity said. “I don’t even know how it was still standing.”

Fabinak said he would like to see off-campus housing on the cleared site.

“It would be a good choice to put there because it is pretty prime location,” he said.

The demolition started yesterday at the west end of the motel and will continue destroying the apartments and garages behind the motel. Zigga said Jimmy John’s will not be affected by the demolition.

“The plan is to have a nice flat piece of land. Then we will decide what we will do with it,” he said.

ASW Properties has owned the land for approximately six years.

“We tried to convert it into student (housing), but it didn’t really take off,” Zigga said. The company then decided to use the site for something better and not leave it in its current condition with vacant buildings, he added.

Though no plans have been made, Zigga said a few companies have expressed interest in the site, but it is too early to say.

Zigga said he hopes a new company will break ground within the next 12 months.

ASW Properties is also developing the new Greek village. It built Sigma Nu fraternity house and other structures servicing the Greek village, including a parking lot. ASW Properties is currently working with other Greek organizations on the Greek village projects.

Contact public affairs reporter Kelsey Henninger at [email protected].