Never stop questioning ideas

Ted Hamilton

The end of another semester is upon us. Last minute parties, finals and tearful good-byes are in order for Kent State students.

For some, this is their last semester at Kent State as they go on to accomplish bigger things and follow their dreams in grown-up land. For others, like myself, it is one step closer to graduating (something I will be doing in May of next year) and escaping the life of a student. Too soon we will be putting on suits and ties as we join the business professionals and shed our carefree skins.

Even if you did not agree with my the ideas of my column this semester, or any semester for that matter, I hope it at least made you think. Too many people are crushed by partisan ideas to look outside their own snug little box. Even studying ideas you do not believe in gives you insight on how people think and why your idea is not the only one out there. Learning about things you do not agree with or even believe in helps to develop your mind and your own thoughts – politically and otherwise.

If nothing else, I hope as students graduate they never stop questioning society and their roles in it. It may be a bit hokey, but no one should ever stop questioning the truth – ever. Pushing the envelope as far as we can is the only way our minds can evolve and make it in this world where thoughts are like animals fighting against natural selection. As our ideas spring forth in this world from imagination to reality, from sand to concrete, they are often preyed upon by the status quo. There is no one who wants their ideals and values to die, but that’s often what happens. People come to college with certain ideas and leave believing the opposite of what they did during their freshman year. Sometimes this is a good thing and suggests that some people did a lot of inward thinking. Other times, it is nothing more than a weak will that gives in to the ideas held by the oppressing thought machine of the status quo.

For those graduating, now is as good of a time as any to reflect on your college career. What did you do that you are proud of? What do you wish you could go back and change? What was your most memorable night? None of us are perfect, and everyone has regrets. What the graduates need to do is focus on making their strengths that much stronger while not succumbing to their weaknesses.

Past that, do not forget your friends, coworkers and other students who helped make your college experience what it was. I know if it was not for people- students, cooks and managers who work there – from my old place of employment (the ever delicious Prentice Café), I would not have had as good of an experience at Kent State as I have had thus far. In the college setting, everyone can have an effect on one another’s life: from the nerd in the front of the classroom to the person who is serving our food.

To those who are graduating, I wish you good luck in the area you have chosen and hope you get to pursue whatever dreams you may have. To those who are still in school, I urge you to focus on your strengths now while working to crush what makes you weak. Finally, to all of you, I urge you to never give up looking for the truth. Always remember: In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

Ted Hamilton is a senior magazine journalism major and a columnist for the Daily Kent Stater. Contact him at [email protected].