No word yet on interim CCI dean

Amy Szabo

Kent State students and members of Excel get into the christmas spirit and wrap gifts for Family and Community Services last night in Lake Hall. The students wrapped gifts such as Candy Land, Chutes and Ladders, and mini race cars. Rachel Kilroy | Daily K

No decision was made at a faculty meeting yesterday to determine the interim dean of the College of Communication and Information.

Provost Robert Frank led the meeting to discuss the process of selecting a dean and any suggestions for an interim dean.

Journalism professor Fred Endres said, “He said nothing.”

He said nothing was actually accomplished.

The college is looking for an interim dean with the hopes that an official dean for CCI will be named by next fall, journalism professor Gary Hanson said.

The search began a week ago when CCI Dean James L. Gaudino was announced as the new president of Central Washington University in Ellensburg, Wash.

Though no interim dean was named at the meeting, Richard Rubin, director of the School of Library and Information Science, was suggested as a possible candidate, journalism professor Tim Smith said.

Hanson said Rubin had been the interim dean for CCI when the college was first created in 2002, before Gaudino was named the official dean in 2003.

Smith said, however, that Rubin would “make an unlikely candidate,” because he will be on sabbatical during the spring semester and has a book deal deadline.

“The thought was that he has done it once before. Let’s stick it with him again,” he said.

No one knows who the interim dean will be or when the choice will be announced.

&mdash Amy Szabo